• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

If Chef Martin Yan can cook, then so can I! Hello eGullet from Northern California!

My profile was recently approved and I am excited to ask some culinary questions on spices mainly used in Indian cooking, since it's my primary culinary interests. On YouTube, I follow Sanjeev Kapoor, Ranveer Brar, and my personal chef hero—"Vahchef" Sanjay Thumma. If you're looking for authentic Hyderabadi Chicken Dum Biryani, look no further than his many videos on how to cook the perfect pot of various styles of biryani in India.

• Like 1

Hello Ronald. Welcome. This is a great forum for asking questions and folks here are very, very helpful. And sometimes funny, too. Hope you find some good conversations soon.

I luuuv biryani chicken that I get from those food carts in NYC. 

The favorite flavors I like are from the white yogurt sauce and this pickle that is a round sphere ball. 

I asked about it and the Indian cook told me it's actually Chinese in origin - maybe a pickled plum. 

Thank you for the wonderful welcome messages. I'll be sure to not only use, but share (to the best of my knowledge) about the foods and spices used. Cooking has given me a secondary creative outlet during our odd times.

Edited by Ronald N. Tan (log)
  • Like 3