• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bangers

lindag

I have been lusting for bangers and mash for some time.

Of course there are no bangers available around here.

My attempt will be made with bratwurst because that’s what I have,

I also want to do the Guinness onion gravy for the mash.

Can’r wait to see how this turns out.

What kind of sausage would you use in place of the bangers?

• Like 1

The bangers (brats) were a huge success!  The couldn’t have turned out better.

The Guinness onion gravy, of corse, was the star of the show.

i will definitely make this again and again.

The recipe I used was from Johnsonville.com  Bangers and mash.

• Like 3

By looking at the pictures of them they look too big around to be real bangers.  Bangers that I've ever had were less than 1/2" in diameter.  Also to be a true banger they have to have to be stuffed into natural skins not skinless or something artificial.

They are probably good just about everything by Johnsonville is but they certainly are not bangers.

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

19 minutes ago, MSRadell said:

By looking at the pictures of them they look too big around to be real bangers.  Bangers that I've ever had were less than 1/2" in diameter.  Also to be a true banger they have to have to be stuffed into natural skins not skinless or something artificial.

They are probably good just about everything by Johnsonville is but they certainly are not bangers.

British bangers are not so miserly as just ½" in diameter! Those pictured look fine to me.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

since food migrates from here to there so readily this days

Im surprised British Banger have not come to my area

I love them.   its the mild taste , the finely ground filling , and that Cardboard 

je ne sais pas.

even though I know its rusk

WF had some Irish Banger , ans so did Tj's  

they were awful , and may or may not have resembled a banger from Ireland

N or S.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, rotuts said:

since food migrates from here to there so readily this days

Im surprised British Banger have not come to my area

I love them.   its the mild taste , the finely ground filling , and that Cardboard 

je ne sais pas.

🤣🤣🤣As I used to say to my English stepdad when he offered me some of the sausages that his mum smuggled over to the US, "No, thank you.  I prefer my toast on the side, not IN the sausage". 😉

• Haha 2

My Dad and his wife were living in the London area in the early 1970’s and my sisters and I visited one summer. One of my favorite meals was from a local shop - Fish and Chips (wrapped in newspaper), but I also remember Bangers and Wigwam. Are Bangers and Wigwam the same as Bangers and Mash?

My first wife was British and there was a brand of bangers we had to search far and wide for, don't remember what the name was.  She and her parents said they were just like what they got in England.  The big ones were bangers, the small one chipolatas.  WE occasionally had bangers and mash, but more often it had to bangers with Heinz vegetarian baked beans, peas and roasted or stewed tomatoes.

My first trip to England in the cab on the way to the hotel, I asked the cabby where I could get some good bangers.  He thought I meant prostitutes!  I explained further and he said "Oh!  Sausages. We don't call them bangers here."  Later I read that they were called bangers here because the bread content was too high to legally be called sausage.  

Edited by mgaretz (log)

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

2 hours ago, mgaretz said:

Later I read that they were called bangers here because the bread content was too high to legally be called sausage.  

No.  The etymology of "bangers" is well documented. It dates from World War I and referred to the cheap  sausages given to the miitary, which often exploded during frying, due to the high fat and bread content used. The term is first recorded is 1919, but it was in WW2 that the expression became common.

Today, sausages are only called bangers in the context of the dish "bangers and mash".

• Like 1

2 hours ago, liuzhou said:

No.  The etymology of "bangers" is well documented. It dates from World War I and referred to the cheap  sausages given to the miitary, which often exploded during frying, due to the high fat and bread content used. The term is first recorded is 1919, but it was in WW2 that the expression became common.

Today, sausages are only called bangers in the context of the dish "bangers and mash".

Good to know. Thanks. 

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Yeah I don't get the concept of "Bangers" being a particular "type" of Sausage. I know where the word originates and the history but a Banger to me is just a plain old sausage. Can't say I've ever had a bready one. I would say I prefer a short fat "Banger" with my mash over these long skinny ones that the Aussies prefer 🤣

23 minutes ago, CantCookStillTry said:

Yeah I don't get the concept of "Bangers" being a particular "type" of Sausage. I know where the word originates and the history but a Banger to me is just a plain old sausage. Can't say I've ever had a bready one. I would say I prefer a short fat "Banger" with my mash over these long skinny ones that the Aussies prefer 🤣

Yes, you are right. "Banger" was originally simply slang for a sausage of any description. But today, at least in the UK, it is only really used when it refers to the component in "Bangers and Mash", which is nearly always a sausage of the short fat type. The long skinny ones are known as chipolatas as mentioned above.

My friend bought some sausages labeled 'bangers' at Costco around St. Patrick's Day earlier this year.  Apparently they are a seasonal item there.  In checking the Johnsonville website I saw that there is one grocery chain here that (supposedly) stocks them, Albertson's.  I don't shop there but I will make it a point to stop in  next time I'm near one in town and check for the Irish O'Garlic sausages.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lindag said:

My friend bought some sausages labeled 'bangers' at Costco around St. Patrick's Day earlier this year.  Apparently they are a seasonal item there.  In checking the Johnsonville website I saw that there is one grocery chain here that (supposedly) stocks them, Albertson's.  I don't shop there but I will make it a point to stop in  next time I'm near one in town and check for the Irish O'Garlic sausages.

Those Costco ones were probably the same ones that I bought there earlier in the year.  If you remember when I did the Toad in the Hole dish, those were the ones I used.  No idea if they are any where NEAR authentic (I suspect they are all meat), but they were certainly tasty.  

• Like 2

On 7/13/2020 at 10:13 PM, MSRadell said:

Bangers that I've ever had were less than 1/2" in diameter.

Are you sure someone didn't accidentally spill the toothpicks on your mash? :P:D I've never seen a sausage of any variety less than 1/2" in diameter unless we're counting snack sticks like Slim Jims or similar.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

14 hours ago, CantCookStillTry said:

these long skinny ones

There use to be a time when these didn't exist.  The skinny one's came about as process food was introduced.  I think people have just forgotten not that they prefer the skinny. And who ever termed the phrase "Bunnings sausage"  ??? It's actually Lions club sausage.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, CantCookStillTry said:

It's faster to cook a skinny snag to a crisp than a fat one

• Like 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

58 minutes ago, Captain said:

There use to be a time when these didn't exist.  The skinny one's came about as process food was introduced.  I think people have just forgotten not that they prefer the skinny. And who ever termed the phrase "Bunnings sausage"  ??? It's actually Lions club sausage.

When the Aussie spirit's too strong : ATBGE

Edited by haresfur
resize photo (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

11 hours ago, Captain said:

"Bunnings sausage"  ??? It's actually Lions club sausage.

Oops. I'm still not local I've only heard Bunnings Snags - maybe because they have a different charity (where we are at least) every week? 

Still good. To me... I'm not a fussy gal when it comes to Sausage - there's GOOD sausage and BAD sausage, and it might sometimes (alot of times) be made of "lips & a******s" but unless I hit a hard bit I'm good 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 7 months later...

The only source near here for bangers seems to be Costco at or around St. Patrick's Day.  We checked there yesterday and there were none.

Too bad.  I'll have to try another variety of sausage if I want bangers.

• Sad 1