• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ovens suggestions, more appliances and a new kitchen

Franci

First,  congrats on the new place.  As to outdoors pizza ovens,  yes ,  I think gas is the way to go.  WFO sound nice, but are a lot of work to fire up, take some time to get to temp, and most pizza cooks so quickly, many report no difference in taste between WFO and Gas.   I have an Ooni Koda 16, and while it is nice,  I don't keep it outside, and don't know how long it would last that close to the ocean.  The Zio is an interesting option and would probably work fine.  I have never seen one, but can tell you from using the Ooni, that even if you had a pizza oven that could fit two pies, it is unlikely you would want to cook two at once,  they cook pretty quickly, and require turning, so making two at a time would be pretty challenging.  Since you can crank one out in 90 seconds or so, it is not a long wait between pies.  

• Like 2

Take a look at the Breville Smart Oven Air.  I make pizza on it's pizza setting and have no complaints.  It can fit some 5qt dutch ovens and I make my bread in there, so I don't need a steam function.  Fits a quarter sheet pan with room to spare.  Also works as an air fryer.  It only goes to 480F but with "super convection" you get the effect of a much hotter oven.  Since getting it, and the regular version, I have not turned on my regular oven.  I use it almost every day.

• Thanks 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

47 minutes ago, mgaretz said:

Take a look at the Breville Smart Oven Air.  I make pizza on it's pizza setting and have no complaints.  It can fit some 5qt dutch ovens and I make my bread in there, so I don't need a steam function.  Fits a quarter sheet pan with room to spare.  Also works as an air fryer.  It only goes to 480F but with "super convection" you get the effect of a much hotter oven.  Since getting it, and the regular version, I have not turned on my regular oven.  I use it almost every day.

Thank you, @mgaretz, definitely an option 

4 hours ago, Barrytm said:

First,  congrats on the new place.  As to outdoors pizza ovens,  yes ,  I think gas is the way to go.  WFO sound nice, but are a lot of work to fire up, take some time to get to temp, and most pizza cooks so quickly, many report no difference in taste between WFO and Gas.   I have an Ooni Koda 16, and while it is nice,  I don't keep it outside, and don't know how long it would last that close to the ocean.  The Zio is an interesting option and would probably work fine.  I have never seen one, but can tell you from using the Ooni, that even if you had a pizza oven that could fit two pies, it is unlikely you would want to cook two at once,  they cook pretty quickly, and require turning, so making two at a time would be pretty challenging.  Since you can crank one out in 90 seconds or so, it is not a long wait between pies.  

Thank you, @Barrytm, all very good points. I don’t think I can handle more than a pizza at a time 😅 honestly, wood cooking is going to be a learning curve,  we are going to have my husband bbq with wood, coal, if I want to I could use a cover like this  for some experimenting.