• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Franci

Franci

3 hours ago, haresfur said:

What direction does it face? Will there be enough shade where you want when you want? If not you could put up some shade-cloth and that would give you more options for where to put things.

It faces west, I think I will be doing my cooking more at night, during the day, shade, no shade, it’s really hot. But where I want to put it there will be a minimal protection in case of rain at least. 

2 hours ago, FauxPas said:

It looks like you have a decent amount of space there, so I think you are only constrained by your budget. You could do a lot in that area and framing it with some veggies/green things would define the space in a really nice way, as well as provide a practical garden area. Would you use planters/raised beds? 

I guess the big question is how much time will you spend there and do you visualize it as an outdoor kitchen and dining area? For entertaining or just for family meals? 

I don’t know yet how much I will be able to spend, we have some construction work inside to be done. Definitely I want raised beds on the perimeter and/or some use of the fences to grow something. This time we are going to hire someone to design it and to start the garden. We are already inexperienced and growing in Florida is an extra challenge. I want to set it right.  Edit to add: I love the idea of cooking outside, a lot! It will be mainly later in the day when it’s not that hot and especially for the family. I see myself eating out all year long if it’s not raining. 

Franci

Franci

2 hours ago, haresfur said:

What direction does it face? Will there be enough shade where you want when you want? If not you could put up some shade-cloth and that would give you more options for where to put things.

It faces west, I think I will be doing my cooking more at night, during the day, shade, no shade, it’s really hot. But where I want to put it there will be a minimal protection in case of rain at least. 

1 hour ago, FauxPas said:

It looks like you have a decent amount of space there, so I think you are only constrained by your budget. You could do a lot in that area and framing it with some veggies/green things would define the space in a really nice way, as well as provide a practical garden area. Would you use planters/raised beds? 

I guess the big question is how much time will you spend there and do you visualize it as an outdoor kitchen and dining area? For entertaining or just for family meals? 

I don’t know yet how much I will be able to spend, we have some construction work inside to be done. Definitely I want raised beds on the perimeter and/or some use of the fences to grow something. This time we are going to hire someone to design it and to start the garden. We are already inexperienced and growing in Florida is an extra challenge. I want to set it right.