Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shel_B

Vitamix Stainless Steel Container

Recommended Posts

Yowza, that's steep.

 

Not in the cards for me anyway, because my Vitamix is a vintage model that has the original, old-school stainless steel container.

  • Like 2

“What is called sound economics is very often what mirrors the needs of the respectably affluent.” - John Kenneth Galbraith

 

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I had a Vitamix, which I don't, I'd want that.  My Waring grinder, which is as close as I have to a blender, has stainless steel jars.  And they aren't cheap either.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't say I've ever wished I had a stainless container for my blender. Even if I did, it's not a Vitamix. Even if it was, I wouldn't be willing to pay $200 US for it. Just out of curiosity, what's the real world benefit of having a stainless container for home use? Actually, I probably don't want to know the answer to that... I might find myself wanting one. :D Although, I don't think there's much likelihood anybody will be making one for my blender anyway.

  • Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, chromedome said:

Yowza, that's steep.

 

Not in the cards for me anyway, because my Vitamix is a vintage model that has the original, old-school stainless steel container.

 

I own a vintage one with the SS container also.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just wish that they would come out with one that disassembles, so that I could blend gooey things in it and get them out.  I've given up using it for anything sticky and thick.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

I can't say I've ever wished I had a stainless container for my blender. Even if I did, it's not a Vitamix. Even if it was, I wouldn't be willing to pay $200 US for it. Just out of curiosity, what's the real world benefit of having a stainless container for home use? Actually, I probably don't want to know the answer to that... I might find myself wanting one. :D Although, I don't think there's much likelihood anybody will be making one for my blender anyway.

To my mind, the significant "real world" advantage is durability, especially for those who use their V'mix to grind grain. It mucks up the polycarbonate ones pretty badly, it seems.

 

That being said, I know from spending time on the Vitamix site (I've written some pieces for them) that a small but noisy minority has been lobbying for a steel jar for years, because they don't consider plastic in any form to be suitable for food contact. Whether you consider this to be a "real world" advantage or not a question of individual perception.

  • Like 2

“What is called sound economics is very often what mirrors the needs of the respectably affluent.” - John Kenneth Galbraith

 

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/8/2020 at 10:23 PM, chromedome said:

To my mind, the significant "real world" advantage is durability, especially for those who use their V'mix to grind grain. It mucks up the polycarbonate ones pretty badly, it seems.


That makes sense. I don't use my blender for that purpose. It's strong enough, I just don't have the need or desire to use it for that.

 

On 7/8/2020 at 10:23 PM, chromedome said:

That being said, I know from spending time on the Vitamix site (I've written some pieces for them) that a small but noisy minority has been lobbying for a steel jar for years, because they don't consider plastic in any form to be suitable for food contact. Whether you consider this to be a "real world" advantage or not a question of individual perception.


I don't consider that an advantage for myself but I don't have a problem with it being an advantage for others. 

So worry averted. I got answers to my question and still don't really feel the need for a stainless container for my blender. But I'm glad they're making one for those who do feel the need. 

  • Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/8/2020 at 11:23 PM, chromedome said:

To my mind, the significant "real world" advantage is durability, especially for those who use their V'mix to grind grain. It mucks up the polycarbonate ones pretty badly, it seems.

 

That sounds like the only justification, really. I'm so tired of the plastic police. These people would have heart palpitations if they looked inside any restaurant kitchens (where practically everything, including the the jugs on the Vita Preps, is made of good old fashioned polycarbonate). 

 

My problem with the SS container—besides it costing as much as an actual blender—is that you just can't see what you're doing. With a clear container, you can see up and down all the sides, and you know how well things are blending, and if anything needs to shoved into the blades with the tamper. 


Notes from the underbelly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...