• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vitamix Stainless Steel Container

Shel_B

Yowza, that's steep.

Not in the cards for me anyway, because my Vitamix is a vintage model that has the original, old-school stainless steel container.

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

If I had a Vitamix, which I don't, I'd want that.  My Waring grinder, which is as close as I have to a blender, has stainless steel jars.  And they aren't cheap either.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I can't say I've ever wished I had a stainless container for my blender. Even if I did, it's not a Vitamix. Even if it was, I wouldn't be willing to pay $200 US for it. Just out of curiosity, what's the real world benefit of having a stainless container for home use? Actually, I probably don't want to know the answer to that... I might find myself wanting one. :D Although, I don't think there's much likelihood anybody will be making one for my blender anyway.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

3 hours ago, chromedome said:

Yowza, that's steep.

Not in the cards for me anyway, because my Vitamix is a vintage model that has the original, old-school stainless steel container.

I own a vintage one with the SS container also.   

3 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

I can't say I've ever wished I had a stainless container for my blender. Even if I did, it's not a Vitamix. Even if it was, I wouldn't be willing to pay $200 US for it. Just out of curiosity, what's the real world benefit of having a stainless container for home use? Actually, I probably don't want to know the answer to that... I might find myself wanting one. :D Although, I don't think there's much likelihood anybody will be making one for my blender anyway.

To my mind, the significant "real world" advantage is durability, especially for those who use their V'mix to grind grain. It mucks up the polycarbonate ones pretty badly, it seems.

That being said, I know from spending time on the Vitamix site (I've written some pieces for them) that a small but noisy minority has been lobbying for a steel jar for years, because they don't consider plastic in any form to be suitable for food contact. Whether you consider this to be a "real world" advantage or not a question of individual perception.

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

On 7/8/2020 at 10:23 PM, chromedome said:

To my mind, the significant "real world" advantage is durability, especially for those who use their V'mix to grind grain. It mucks up the polycarbonate ones pretty badly, it seems.

That makes sense. I don't use my blender for that purpose. It's strong enough, I just don't have the need or desire to use it for that.

On 7/8/2020 at 10:23 PM, chromedome said:

That being said, I know from spending time on the Vitamix site (I've written some pieces for them) that a small but noisy minority has been lobbying for a steel jar for years, because they don't consider plastic in any form to be suitable for food contact. Whether you consider this to be a "real world" advantage or not a question of individual perception.

I don't consider that an advantage for myself but I don't have a problem with it being an advantage for others. 

So worry averted. I got answers to my question and still don't really feel the need for a stainless container for my blender. But I'm glad they're making one for those who do feel the need. 

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

On 7/8/2020 at 11:23 PM, chromedome said:

That sounds like the only justification, really. I'm so tired of the plastic police. These people would have heart palpitations if they looked inside any restaurant kitchens (where practically everything, including the the jugs on the Vita Preps, is made of good old fashioned polycarbonate). 

My problem with the SS container—besides it costing as much as an actual blender—is that you just can't see what you're doing. With a clear container, you can see up and down all the sides, and you know how well things are blending, and if anything needs to shoved into the blades with the tamper. 

Notes from the underbelly