• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

ccp900

ccp900

4 hours ago, jimb0 said:

Yeah i watched the ingredients section again and don't see leavening anywhere - I'm sure your pancake mix has it and so I'll be curious to see if just using standard AP flour will help with your issues. It has nothing to do with the creation of water (your vinegar is already 95%+ water) diluting a batter as much, I'd wager, as excess gas effing up structural networks that help maintain air bubbles and stabilize the foam. 

As an aside, I wonder if you could just mix everything plus egg whites and put it in an iSi whipper to dispense directly into the skillet.

Interesting. I don’t have an isi though and covid is just messing up everything!!!

ill reply back here once I get this done. I can only cook things up on weekends hehe

there are other recipes out there that use baking powder. Something like 15g AP flour and 5 g baking powder for 1 egg recipe. I was able to buy flour recently so I’ll go ahead and try using that too instead of pancake mix

ccp900

ccp900

3 hours ago, jimb0 said:

Yeah i watched the ingredients section again and don't see leavening anywhere - I'm sure your pancake mix has it and so I'll be curious to see if just using standard AP flour will help with your issues. It has nothing to do with the creation of water (your vinegar is already 95%+ water) diluting a batter as much, I'd wager, as excess gas effing up structural networks that help maintain air bubbles and stabilize the foam. 

As an aside, I wonder if you could just mix everything plus egg whites and put it in an iSi whipper to dispense directly into the skillet.

Interesting. I don’t have an isi though and covid is just messing up everything!!!

ill reply back here once I get this done. I can only cook things up on weekends hehe