• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bread books for beginners recommendations.

On 6/26/2020 at 9:40 PM, TdeV said:

Hello @Mutleyracers and welcome! I'm a bread fancier but have used a bread machine for years and years, so am unlikely to be too helpful. :(

Do you know about https://scotlandthebread.org/?

Hi. Had anyone started to bake bread using pure whole grains and have you been able to get a sandwich loaf soft texture or is this flour just like granary bread etc?

Thanks 

I have King Arthur Flour's Whole Grain Baking which cites ingredients in ounces. Perhaps a used book might help you. Also, you could spend some time on the website (which does offer ingredients in grams). King Arthur Flour has changed their name to King Arthur Baking.

On 7/31/2020 at 11:06 PM, Mutleyracers said:

Hi. Thanks for the recommendation. Unfortunately I cannot get this book in the uk, for some reason it won't ship from the USA and there is no kindle version. Sounds interesting. Would like a go at the weeks worth of bread in a couple of hours!

I know I’m late on this but have you tried Book Depository?

• 7 months later...

Lately I have been using the king arthir no knead bread which is so easy, looks good and tastes awesome.

Was trying the ken forkish white poolish bread but I cannot get the dough to form any shape at all. I use a flor with a protein content of 11% which he uses but mine is nothing like his in his video. It just falls flat as while trying to fold and pincer. 

Anyone had success with this.

4 minutes ago, Mutleyracers said:

I use a flor with a protein content of 11%

That seems pretty low, and while it's what he uses in his bakery, that's in his bakery. And it's a specific flour, which might have other attributes you're not aware of.

Try something a little higher in protein - like closer to 12% maybe?  Or drop the water a percentage or two, and maybe see how that works.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

12 hours ago, Mutleyracers said:

Lately I have been using the king arthir no knead bread which is so easy, looks good and tastes awesome.

Was trying the ken forkish white poolish bread but I cannot get the dough to form any shape at all. I use a flor with a protein content of 11% which he uses but mine is nothing like his in his video. It just falls flat as while trying to fold and pincer. 

Anyone had success with this.

I go with Central Milling, usually their organic line, for my white flour and whole wheat in fine and medium.  

I originally tried their « Beehive, » which comes in at 10.7% protein.  Great baguettes and levain, as long as hydration isn’t high on either.  My base from them is their Baker’s choice Plus, clocking in at 11.7%.  Performs beautifully.  

Interesting ng the whole wheat they sell is listed as « Hi-Pro,” in three milling grades.  They tout a gentle milling process that significantly lessens shearing.  I’ve made 100% WW Hi-Pro (fine) with spring and openness approaching straight white flour levains.  My go-to is my best emulation of a traditional French pain au levain, with 63% Baker’s Choice and 27% Hi-Pro fine.  I like it a lot.

• Like 3

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

12 hours ago, paul o' vendange said:

My go-to is my best emulation of a traditional French pain au levain, with 63% Baker’s Choice and 27% Hi-Pro fine.  I like it a lot.

What happened to the missing 10%?!

• Haha 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

27 minutes ago, weinoo said:

What happened to the missing 10%?!

Um, baker’s 10?😆

That would be 37% WW.  I think.  Give me a second, I only have a dozen fingers to count on.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

Beard on Bread (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) was my first bread book.

A Sally Lunn was the first yeast bread, from that book, I baked on my own as a young teen. 

I baked it in a bundt pan.

https://www.amazon.com/Beard-Bread-James/dp/0679755047

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 2

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

• 4 weeks later...