• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bread books for beginners recommendations.

2 minutes ago, heidih said:

As someone who has worked with phyllo all her life and can perhaps give you "life lessons".  Because high hydration dough has similar personality. Light touch is key. In the end though taste not looks matter. Toasting can be a friend. Bake on! Flour is cheap

Thank you for reassuring me all is not lost. Persevere is what I shall do.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jimb0 said:

I can't recommend tartine anymore due to their rabid anti-unionization behaviours in recent months. My favourite bread book for learning more about different kinds of bread remains Peter Reinhart's The Bread Baker's Apprentice. Definitely responsible for a jump in my bread baking years ago.

I agree, that is a great book.  I also like Peter Reinhart's Artisan Breads Every Day.  I use that one more than the other.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, weinoo said:

Reinhart, Forkish, Lahey, et al.

By the way, I'd also add Beard, Julia, David, Malgieri, Field, Clayton, and a host of others. They all have something to offer, even if it's what NOT to do.

This has always been one of my favorites, if only because of the great breads eaten at Il Fornaio over the years.

image.png.8bb49cbc6a702e05d06c4f421b2a65fc.png

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

11 hours ago, Mutleyracers said:

Looks so sloppy. Excited to see the finished product. 

I don't cook for instagram. I cook to share good food with people I love. The bread had excellent flavor and texture.

56 minutes ago, heidih said:

I don't cook for instagram. I cook to share good food with people I love. The bread had excellent flavor and texture.

Great reply. Thanks for sharing.

Here is mine this morning from the cold overnight prooving in the fridge. Not tacky inside at all but still looks stretched if that makes sense? Oh, great rise out of this one as well as split seam on the top which I have read is a good thing...

20200628_075017.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, donk79 said:

Beautiful looking loaf!

Thank you. The thing is, I am not sure if it is supposed to be like that as it is meant to be a white loaf suitable for sandwiches and toast. This is more the crumb of sourdough. Chewy etc. A nice crunch to it with toast though!

• 1 month later...
18 hours ago, pastameshugana said:

As for books, I can’t recommend Secrets of a Jewish baker highly enough. A wide variety of recipes, a fair amount of technique, and a love for bread!

One of my favorites!

• Like 1

Hi. Thanks for the recommendation. Unfortunately I cannot get this book in the uk, for some reason it won't ship from the USA and there is no kindle version. Sounds interesting. Would like a go at the weeks worth of bread in a couple of hours!

25 minutes ago, TdeV said:

There are two copies here @Mutleyracers. Let me know if they can't ship to UK.

Thanks for this. The cost to ship would be very expensive compared to the price of the book. It turns out that the kindle version however is now available. Upon looking I see it doesn't use metric weights, just cups which as a newby to baking I would like the weights.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mutleyracers said:

it doesn't use metric weights, just cups which as a newby to baking I would like the weights.

Yes, volume measurement is a totally demented method. 🤣

One of my early favorites was Bernard Clayton's Complete Book of Breads - I learned a lot from his books (I also enjoyed his Complete Book of Pastry) - Complete Book of Breads

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

One of my early favorites was Bernard Clayton's Complete Book of Breads - I learned a lot from his books (I also enjoyed his Complete Book of Pastry) - Complete Book of Breads

Me too... I still have (and use) both of those and his Complete Book of Soups and Stews.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.