• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Confectionery Technology, University of Wisconsin

Desiderio

I have been eyeballing the confectionery technology course for few year now, but it was a little out of my price range. Now due to the Covid19 restrictions, they are offering the course online, and the price, of course, is more reasonable. The practical part will be missing, but since I work in the field, maybe I can work on tests at work, or something like that. The only thing would be things like panning, I really want to gain more experience in panning and it requires hands on.

Just wondering if anyone here has attended the course, and what are your thoughts on the matter.

Thank you, as always. I hope next year we will be able to attend to the yearly workshop :-)

• Like 1

Vanessa

Oh man I wish I could afford it; still out of my price range. It looks really great, though, even virtually. I suspect the real draw (vs alternatives these days) will be the ability to pick all the brains. Definitely looking forward to hearing your thoughts if you go forward with it.

11 hours ago, Desiderio said:

I have been eyeballing the confectionery technology course for few year now, but it was a little out of my price range. Now due to the Covid19 restrictions, they are offering the course online, and the price, of course, is more reasonable. The practical part will be missing, but since I work in the field, maybe I can work on tests at work, or something like that. The only thing would be things like panning, I really want to gain more experience in panning and it requires hands on.

Just wondering if anyone here has attended the course, and what are your thoughts on the matter.

Thank you, as always. I hope next year we will be able to attend to the yearly workshop 🙂

I did a week long panning course at the university with the NCA/PMCA a number of years back. Really did need to be hands on. But agree - there are some great brains there to be picked and if a lot of it can be done at home - I'd go for it. 

Thank you! I think I might jump, I really need to learn something new, even if it is not hands on at this point.

I have been researching on DIY panning attachments for the KitchenAid, and I have gathered the parts to start the project (my son will help with that). So hopefully I will be able to do some panning, which is really what I want to work on, and like Kerry said, it needs hands on practice.

I will report back, thank you for your input, I really appreciated it :-)

Vanessa