• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hi All

Hello everyone. I hope you are all keeping well in these strange times. 

I am Lee. I live in the UK and have been on lockdown since the 16th of March. Like many people I have started getting into bread from listening to the modernist bread podcast. Now i don't have the book (wife won't let me yet, but i am working on it. So I have been trying bread recipes online. I have a Combi Steam oven which I use but all my loaves end up a little sticky in the middle. I have tried a basic white bread loaf with Diax and Jim Lahey's no knead in a pyrex dish. 3 x each so far and they are all a little sticky in the middle. When I squeeze the bread innthe middle it springs back a little but could be turned into a dough ball i think. 

Any way, I have come on here in search of advice.

Kind regards Lee 

• Like 2

Hello, Lee. Yeah, you'll likely find your answers to that and any other questions on here!

My off the cuff guess is that it might need to cook a bit longer. Do you have a thermometer to check interior temp on your loaf? You want at least 190F (88 C), and I often go to 200F (93C).

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

4 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Hi, Lee, and welcome to eGullet!  I'm sure you'll find all the help you need here.  Love seeing people coming here from the UK - my favorite corner of the world (admittedly, the only place I've been besides US, the islands and France, but still...😁)!

Hi Kim. Thanks for the welcome. Glad you like the UK. It is a great place. I have never been to the USA but hope to one day.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kayb said:

Hello, Lee. Yeah, you'll likely find your answers to that and any other questions on here!

My off the cuff guess is that it might need to cook a bit longer. Do you have a thermometer to check interior temp on your loaf? You want at least 190F (88 C), and I often go to 200F (93C).

Hi Kayb. Thanks for your info.

I do use a thermometer and all my loaves come out at around 190f. I do use my combi steam oven. Tried it with the bread setting and without. Turned out the same. I thought the idea with the steam was just during the initial rising stage/15 minutes of the loaf being in but my bread setting let off a little steam every 3 minutes for 44 minutes for a 850g loaf.

I then tried doing it myself by using steam and hot air for 25 minutes and then just hot air for 20 but it made no difference. 

Here is a pic of my white sandwich loaf I made earlier...

I have read that I should leave until it is room temp before cutting into it and I have but still the same. Hehe

20200626_204050.jpg

What temp are you baking at? Looks like there's a distinct differece in texture in a "rim" of about 3/4 of an inch all the way around the loaf. I would think that would come from the temp being too low or too high, but I'm not certain which. You are, I presume, pre-heating the oven before putting the loaves in?

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Welcome.  I am one of currently more active members from the UK, but haven't lived there for about 30 years. Most of my family are still there, though. I visited last summer for the first time in many years. Hadn't changed much.

As to your bread question, you'll definitely get more answers from our resident expert bakers on the bread thread than here.

• Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto