• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

heidih

heidih

1 hour ago, BKEats said:

I have been cooking vegan for the last month and usually cook vegan meals a few months out of the year.. I have purchased nutrional yeast but, never used it..  My favorite snack is this company called Bjorn Corn which uses nutritional yeast in their popcorn but, have yet to make something that i felt was missing a flavor.. But, i recently purchased some vital wheat gluten to make my own seitan and the recipes all include nurtional yeast so, i am happy to finally have a need for it. 

Interesting adventure. Please report back. Somewhere in my pile of boxes in the garage is Madhur Jaffrey's  "World Vegetarian" where she describes her seitan from scratch method. I never tried it. You be the guinea pig and I'll think on it ;)    I do use Cacique soyrizo in beans. It gives me the illusion that it is ok to use full fat coconut milk when I cook the rice.  https://www.caciqueinc.com/products/soy-chorizo/  I had a bad experience with the real thing cooking for seriously hammered guys in the middle of th night. The orange fat everywhere!

heidih

heidih

1 hour ago, BKEats said:

I have been cooking vegan for the last month and usually cook vegan meals a few months out of the year.. I have purchased nutrional yeast but, never used it..  My favorite snack is this company called Bjorn Corn which uses nutritional yeast in their popcorn but, have yet to make something that i felt was missing a flavor.. But, i recently purchased some vital wheat gluten to make my own seitan and the recipes all include nurtional yeast so, i am happy to finally have a need for it. 

Interesting adventure. Please report back. Somewhere in my pile of boxes in the garage is Madhur Jaffrey's  "World Vegetarian" where she describes her seitan from scratch method. I never tried it. You be the guinea pig and I'll think on it ;)    I do use Cacique soyrizo in beans. It gives me the illusion that it is ok to use full fat coconut milk when I cook the rice.  https://www.caciqueinc.com/products/soy-chorizo/  I had a bad experience ith the real thing cooking for seriously hammered guys in the middle of th night. The orange fat everywhere!

heidih

heidih

1 hour ago, BKEats said:

Interesting adventure. Please report back. Somewhere in my pile of boxes in the garage is Madhur Jaffrey's  "World Vegetarian" where she describes her seitan from scratch method. I never tried it. You be the guinea pig and I'll think on it ;)    I do use Cacique soyrizo in beans. It gives me the illusion that it is ok to use full fat coconut milk when I cook the rice.  https://www.caciqueinc.com/products/soy-chorizo/