• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

heidih

heidih

12 minutes ago, David Ross said:

That reminds me of a question.  Every year our local Mexican grocery store and cafe has a Hatch chile roast in the parking lot.  It's an annual event and people can't wait to get their chiles.  Some friends think I'm crazy because I leave all that char on the chile before putting it my salsa.  They seem to think it's best scraped off, but I say that's scraping off flavor.  What do you think?

Personal taste I think.  If a person is "bitter sensitive" (which I am not) a scrape is good. Also in my experience the roaster guys in parking lot can be distracted by customer chit chat - so...scrape might be needed ;)

heidih

heidih

6 minutes ago, David Ross said:

That reminds me of a question.  Every year our local Mexican grocery store and cafe has a Hatch chile roast in the parking lot.  It's an annual event and people can't wait to get their chiles.  Some friends think I'm crazy because I leave all that char on the chile before putting it my salsa.  They seem to think it's best scraped off, but I say that's scraping off flavor.  What do you think?

Personal taste I think.  If a person is "bitter sensitive" (which I am not) a scrape is good. Also in my experience the roaster guys in parking lot roaster guys can be dstracted by customer chit chat - so...scrape might be needed ;)