• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Baby Wipes Kitchen Hack

Porthos

I'm pretty sure there's already a kitchen hacks thread but I can't find it.

I was cleaning out the back seat floor area of our Corolla; we have to know in advance if someone besides our grandchildren in car seat and booster seat is going to need to sit in the back seat. So Friday I was doing some deepish cleaning and found a basically full container of house brand diaper wipes, dry as a bone. I took the container into the kitchen to try and re-hydrate it, and was successful. We buy diaper wipes in the 900 count boxes at Costco so I had no interest in actually using them as diaper wipes.

I decided to try them as cleaning wipes in the kitchen. They work really, really well. They scrub well and pick up whatever mess I'm dealing with. I'm most likely to keep a container of them in the kitchen from now on.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I have a kitchen use for them. Someone will recall I have mirror kitchen splashback, I know it’s genius...very very difficult to keep clean. The wipe takes any residual grease that I’m not able to clean with the sponge and then I pass the window cloth and magic. When my kids were little I started to suspect on the ingredients on baby wipes 🤣🤣🤣😆 they were magical for many cleaning jobs. 

Edited by Franci (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have four small children & baby wipes are always on the counter …you bet your butt I use them in the kitchen! They are perfect for wiping up minor things and then I can spray the counters etc later :) 

• Like 1

Take about 2/3 of a roll* of paper towels, use your sharpest knife, and cut it in half. Pull the cardboard core out of the center. Stuff it down in your empty wipes container, and douse it with a solution of bleach and water. Pull the towels out of the center as you would wipes. 

That's presuming you can find paper towels, which I've been finding since the initial flurry the first few weeks of the pandemic.

* I find a full roll is too fat to fit in my wipes container.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

4 hours ago, kayb said:

Take about 2/3 of a roll* of paper towels, use your sharpest knife, and cut it in half. Pull the cardboard core out of the center. Stuff it down in your empty wipes container, and douse it with a solution of bleach and water. Pull the towels out of the center as you would wipes. 

That's presuming you can find paper towels, which I've been finding since the initial flurry the first few weeks of the pandemic.

* I find a full roll is too fat to fit in my wipes container.

Unfortunately, even Clorox advises that these should be made up fresh every couple of days.  The efficacy of the of the bleach to disinfect just doesn't last very long.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Unfortunately, even Clorox advises that these should be made up fresh every couple of days.  The efficacy of the of the bleach to disinfect just doesn't last very long.

Huh. Didn't know that. Thanks.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

15 hours ago, rotuts said:

dont baby wipes have some oil in them

No oil in these.

I'm not using them like a disinfectant wipe, just leaning up messes, an overflow in the  microwave and such. I still have my disinfecting cleaners for that job.

• Thanks 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

17 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Even a couple of days is pushing it, depending how demanding your situation is.

The context here is gardening, not kitchen use, but you get the idea (it just happens I was writing for a garden client this morning, and it was open in a tab...)

http://gardeningsolutions.ifas.ufl.edu/care/tools-and-equipment/disinfecting-tools.html

• Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning