• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Margaret Pilgrim

Margaret Pilgrim

Gaspacho is summer staple for us.    We only use fresh tomatoes and only for the several months they are in season.    The "formula" we use is the ingredient list on, surprisingly, a commercial product we enjoy, no, scarf, in France.   ALVALLE is, depressingly, a subsidiary of Tropicana.   It is sold in dairy-type cartons in supermarkets, around $5 a pint.    A carton of gaspacho, baguette, pot of pork rillettes, jar of cornichon and we are have a lunch hog heaven.  

Alvalle ingredients are tomatoes, red peppers, cucumber, onion, wine vinegar (I use sherry vinegar), EVOO salt, garlic, lemon juice.   I toss peeled tomatoes, charred and peeled pepper, peeled and chunked cucumber, chopped onion in a blender.   Rinse blender with splash of water, add vinegar and EVOO, clove of garlic and puree.   Mix the two purees in a large pitcher.    Salt to taste.    Occasionally we add a kiss of cumin, depending on mood.    This is seriously good stuff.

Margaret Pilgrim

Margaret Pilgrim

Gaspacho is summer staple for us.    We only use fresh tomatoes and only for the several months they are in season.    The "formula" we use is the ingredient list on, surprisingly, a commercial product we enjoy, no, scarf, in France.   ALVALLE is, depressingly, a subsidiary of Tropicana.   It is sold in dairy-type cartons in supermarkets, around $5 a pint.    A carton of gaspacho, baguette, pot of pork rillettes, jar of cornichon and we are have a lunch hog heaven.  

Alvalle ingredients are tomatoes, red peppers, cucumber, onion, wine vinegar (I use sherry vinegar), EVOO salt, garlic, lemon juice.   I toss peeled tomatoes, charred and peeled pepper, peeled and chunked cucumber, chopped onion in a blender.   Rinse blender with splash of water, add vinegar and EVOO.   Mix the two purees in a large pitcher.    Salt to taste.    Occasionally we add a kiss of cumin, depending on mood.    This is seriously good stuff.