• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Is there actually any European influence in American BBQ?

To me BBQ always seemed like a cooking method of Native Americans and African Americans. The techniques, ingredients are all decidedly non-European.

Do you guys think European descended Americans even BBQed before the 1960s or such?

Is this a form of a food appropriation? 

1 minute ago, shawarma_prince said:

To me BBQ always seemed like a cooking method of Native Americans and African Americans. The techniques, ingredients are all decidedly non-European.

Do you guys think European descended Americans even BBQed before the 1960s or such?

Is this a form of a food appropriation? 

What?

People have been cooking meat (and vegetables) over open fires since at least neolithic times. Everywhere! It's how cooking began.

I really don't understand your obsession with pinning down where everything began!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

42 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

However, there is a difference between cooking over an open fire and actual BBQ.  Just sayin'. 

Maybe, but it is the origin. And BBQ exists on pretty much every continent. I'm not sure how much in Antartica!

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, shawarma_prince said:

Well American BBQ is cooking slow over low heat which is different than grilling in most part of the world (quickly over high heat).

Not necessarily.

But the origin is the same and that was your question.

I don't know where you get this idea that everything originates in just one place. Many things have been discovered or invented over and over again in different places.

• Like 2

liuzhou: "I don't know where you get this idea that everything originates in just one place. Many things have been discovered or invented over and over again in different places".

You mean, like this thread? 😇

Wouldn't it be useful to define barbecue before trying to figure out where it came from?. If you believe it means long cooking over smoke rather than simply grilling over a fire,, then look to places that had plenty of wood to burn. Just a guess here. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1