• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Is there actually any European influence in American BBQ?

2 hours ago, mleonnig said:

I would disagree. It's quite possible that you have not explored enough us barbecue because the US in particular is known to have the most diverse and wide-ranging regional Styles and not all of them are sweet. A lot of styles focus on vinegar based sauces even Alabama has their own regional mayonnaise based sauce.  Santa Maria style 'cue in California is not sweet either.

I would also say the barbecue joints are not necessarily supposed to be a "restaurant" experience but are a unique "dining" experience all their own.

Cheeky lout.

I'll be watching you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Anchobrie said:

I am wondering if you support the OP statement, do you?

On 11/10/2023 at 3:39 PM, C. sapidus said:

I suspect that people from many cultures have contributed to what we call American BBQ. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Cheers

• Like 1

I find this so ridiculous and silly. Spit roasting, pit roasting - yup all over the world. Hello lechon. The silly original question is talking US Southern Q which is a very specific style  What the hey are we spinning about? Drop the rock.

• Like 3

On 11/9/2023 at 7:50 PM, AlaMoi said:

okay.  word origins aside -

. . . .

physically. . . . in USA terminology . . .

"to grill"  is exposing the "target"   - supported on some "structure" - to heat from the bottom, heat intensity 'undefined'

"to broil" is exposing the "target"   - supported on some "structure" - to heat from above, heat intensity 'undefined'

------------

In my USA terminology,

"to broil" is what you say, the heat is from above

"to grill" is what you say, the heat is from the bottom, BUT that's because the meat (or whatever) is on the barbeque grill and the fire is underneath. In other words, we grill on a barbeque grill 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1