• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New to American BBQ: Where to start?

shawarma_prince

This is a great book on the science behind a lot of bbq. It has recipes, but in the main is a great read on what’s actually going on when we cook meat over flames. 

Meathead Goldwyn

For recipes and ideas I love this from British (heresy!) bbq restaurant, Pitt Cue 

Pitt Cue

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, shawarma_prince said:

I'm thinking about getting into BBQ. Any good equipment, meats and sauces to start with?

Thanks.

If you want advice on grilling type BBQ, and whether you want to use charcoal or propane, then it would help to know that is the kind of outdoor cooking you want.  If you are interested in smoking type BBQ then that is another kind or outdoor cooking and is best suited to other types of equipment.

• Like 1

Kamado's  are a great choice. They will low and slow, and smoking or hot fast grilling.  Even capable of pizza.

There are plenty of choices from ceramic to steel.

Get cooking.

• Like 1

Starting point pretty much depends on what you plan to use as a pit.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!