• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

shain

shain

6 hours ago, Franci said:

Italians are garlophobic

On 7/16/2020 at 1:56 PM, weinoo said:

Garlic makes an appearance when necessary, but probably less called for than Americans think (see Marcella).

I think that if allowed to generalize, Italian cooking avoids overwhelming flavors - be it garlic or spices.

That said, I found that in the area of Naples (maybe the rest of Campania), cooks are willing to have a potent amount of garlic, when it suits the dish. I had some delightfully unapologetically garlic-forward dishes of clams, beans and tomato sauces. Many dishes had no trace of garlic, of course.

Edited to add this related video which I just happened to watch. I always enjoy watching this video series.
press C after playing to turn on subtitles.

shain

shain

5 hours ago, Franci said:

Italians are garlophobic

On 7/16/2020 at 1:56 PM, weinoo said:

Garlic makes an appearance when necessary, but probably less called for than Americans think (see Marcella).

I think that if allowed to generalize, Italian cooking avoids overwhelming flavors - be it garlic or spices.

That said, I found that in the area of Naples (maybe the rest of Campania), cooks are willing to have a potent amount of garlic, when it suits the dish. I had some delightfully unapologetically garlic-forward dishes of clams, beans and tomato sauces. Many dishes had no trace of garlic, of course.