• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Career changes

Hello, 

I am new here (first post). I am a NYC restaurant professional out of work since the middle of March due to Covid-19. I have spent a lot of time in dining rooms across New York City but I am really enjoying the deep dive into food and beverage remotely. I have always enjoyed writing, but it has never been needed throughout my career. I have been reexamining my career path. I am in love with writing about food and beverage. I am in love with sharing and learning the journey.  I am looking into going back to school. I was hoping to get some insight into what kind of careers exist outside the scope of being in restaurants. Can anyone suggest degree paths to look into? For example should I be looking at journalism degrees or culinary arts? Thanks for the support. 

Being the proud owner of a journalism degree, albeit a 42-year-old one, the only one I'd recommend in that arena now would be in the marketing/advertising/pr sector. Obviously, the delivery mechanism for read/heard/seen content in the future is going to be broadband; the issue would be how to carve yourself a niche in the corner of it devoted to food and beverage. Obviously, the solid background for that in food and food industry knowledge, you have. The issue now would be to distinguish yourself through the quality of your presentation: how well you put words together in a row, how well you compose and execute a photograph, how well you compose and edit a video. 

The best I can suggest to you is to read. A lot. And watch. A lot. And write, or shoot photos, or make videos. A lot.

Good luck!

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Maybe take up Youtube-ing... Make a channel devoted to some aspect of food/bev that your network will allow you access to that other people won't get because they don't have your connections.  Make videos. Interview people.  Go behind the scenes. Cut together interesting 5-10 minute segments.  See if they catch on.  Good Youtube channels seem to pull in cash...  If you're an NYC media market guy, maybe you remember Colameco's Food Show that was on the NJN channels in the late 90s and 2000s...  Something like that without the whole TV crew budget might  be doable again via Youtube... provided you've got the right personality and presentation to catch on.

For example: 

Edited by cdh (log)
  • Like 2

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

20 minutes ago, kayb said:

The best I can suggest to you is to read. A lot. And watch. A lot. And write, or shoot photos, or make videos. A lot.

Good luck!

AND connect with an open mind and with passion.

If you haven't discovered it yet, David Leite gave a class in food writing here back in the day.

Having done it myself at 40, I don't recommend going the culinary arts route unless you have specific reasons to believe it will aid your chosen career path. It ain't cheap, and probably won't open any doors that your existing experience won't.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning