• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Do You Eat While Having Your Apéritif/Aperitivo/Drink

weinoo

In other places we've been to, an apéritif at a café or bar is rarely served unaccompanied.  There are always nuts, olives, crisps, or some other snack-y little thing to go along...a lovely touch, not much seen in this country.

So what do you like, and is it drink dependent? 

The other night with ours, I made these...

ADD87510-4EA5-49E2-BF47-D9299A74599B_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.2b2d3983e0ca7f69dc1fa03b26527125.jpeg

Pita crisps, brushed with olive oil, sprinkled with salt and za'tar, then gently warmed for 10 minutes or so.

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

At the moment, we're enjoying pork rillettes on crackers or baguette slices.    Stupid easy to make and lasts well if you let it. 

1974400061_ScreenShot2020-06-15at1_20_39PM.thumb.png.56a34bbe73d9d25f6b91389940df176b.png

When we have an avocado that is heading south, we'll make up guacamole and fry up some broken up corn tortillas.

Splurging, and more effort, is popcorn with truffle salt.

And husband is always game for celery stuffed with pimento or chive cheese.

• Like 4

eGullet member #80.

Last week, I made the Spicy Glazed Nut & Pretzel mix from David Lebovitz's book Drinking French.  I expected the nuts to be great but the pretzels were surprising delicious as well.  

IMG_2582.thumb.jpeg.fe44cc9805c39e8d08899b27805c4b09.jpeg

Sadly, it's all gone.  The recipe is also available here on his blog.   The book also has a recipe for quite a few tasty snacks that I'm looking forward to trying.  The Rosemary Bar Nuts were quite good.  

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Last week, I made the Spicy Glazed Nut & Pretzel mix from David Lebovitz's book Drinking French.  I expected the nuts to be great but the pretzels were surprising delicious as well.  

IMG_2582.thumb.jpeg.fe44cc9805c39e8d08899b27805c4b09.jpeg

Sadly, it's all gone.  The recipe is also available here on his blog.   The book also has a recipe for quite a few tasty snacks that I'm looking forward to trying.  The Rosemary Bar Nuts were quite good.  

Bar nuts were one of the first snacks I made from the old Union Square Cafe cookbook. I do remember that recipe having rosemary as well.

• Like 3

Tasty Travails - My Blog

I like making nibbles that are rolled into small spring roll wrappers which are frozen.  We take a few out and throw them in the air fryer for 8 or so minutes.  The stuffing can be what ever you like...a little Chinese, some Mexican spices on meat, etc.

nuts are a favourite as well as gourmet potato chips...especially pairs well with bubbly.

Those pita chips are a keeper too.  Can’t wait for the cocktail hour to roll around now.🤪

My better half labors under a baking compulsion, so we seem to always have a few ~200g dough balls in the fridge. They make for quick and simple herbed focaccia, paired with Americanos. (Of which I have no photos… I try to live mindfully in the eternal now of Aperitivo)

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Bar nuts were one of the first snacks I made from the old Union Square Cafe cookbook. I do remember that recipe having rosemary as well.

Lebovitz cites the Union Square bar nuts as his inspiration for the recipe in his book.  Based on this discussion, I was prompted to make another batch last night.  

IMG_2614.thumb.jpeg.36599123c79e64dfc81a4384390bc066.jpeg

With a white (yellow?) negroni-type thing.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

Lebovitz cites the Union Square bar nuts as his inspiration for the recipe in his book.  Based on this discussion, I was prompted to make another batch last night.  

Oh wow, didn't know that!

Tasty Travails - My Blog

We rarely cocktail at home (I'm hoping to remedy that), but for company snacking and gifts, I make those David Lebovitz nuts.  I also do them with just cashews, which is an Ina Garten spin.  And @Dorie Greenspan's Sweet and Spicy Cocktail Nuts.  Thank you, @blue_dolphin for linking to the pretzel recipe!  I'll be trying that one!

• Like 2

456433491_Focaccia25ww06-16IMG_1291.jpeg.520cc7c8f59c64c6045ca56f3ef5184c.jpeg

Sometimes what's nice is little squares of freshly baked focaccia. Even better would be a little salumi atop, or sliced in half horizontally and stuffed with goodies. At one of our favorite wine bars (sniff, sniff) we haven't been to in years, 'cause it's in Rome, they serve a basket of little square sandwiches, made on focaccia, with your drinks. It's awesome.

image.png.921f0a91fc2e430fddfdda9389f19357.png

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

On 6/15/2020 at 4:42 PM, Margaret Pilgrim said:

At the moment, we're enjoying pork rillettes on crackers or baguette slices.    Stupid easy to make and lasts well if you let it. 

1974400061_ScreenShot2020-06-15at1_20_39PM.thumb.png.56a34bbe73d9d25f6b91389940df176b.png

We shall see what we shall see...

648081582_Rillettes06-19.jpeg.e1767b14a881f0801abf2f02b1db88bb.jpeg

Did these on the stovetop, in a trusty 2 qt. Staub. They tasted good warm, and I was wondering if I should've topped them off with duck fat, but they seem to have solidified nicely overnight in the fridge.

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

34 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Did these on the stovetop, in a trusty 2 qt. Staub. They tasted good warm, and I was wondering if I should've topped them off with duck fat, but they seem to have solidified nicely overnight in the fridge.

Those look great.   Tip: we have spooned out a small amount, like a cup, into a container that we leave at room temp.   (the rest can be refrigerated or frozen)     It is lovely to have it ready to dig into without having to let it warm up.   Out of the fridge, it is not so appealing  

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

7 minutes ago, scamhi said:

we're simple. either marcona almonds, cashews or dry roasted peanuts. we like salty thing with drinks

Also a dry roast peanut person. Have you tried the ones from Hubbards  A neighbor gifts me at Christmas EVERY year. Slightly different but addictive taste. https://www.hubspeanuts.com/salted-peanuts

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1

Just now, heidih said:

Also a dry roast peanut person. Have you tried the ones from Hubbards  A neighbor gifts me at Christmas EVERY year. Slightly different but addictive taste. https://www.hubspeanuts.com/salted-peanuts.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw57b3BRBlEiwA1Imytix0s1J8JKBfaQxynOSM04yByOp2YHZkKJQ0rs5tl17pFJ-dWn292BoCNpMQAvD_BwE

yes very well aware of hubs peanuts. They are the very best!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, weinoo said:

@Margaret Pilgrim - if only. You only have to remember room temperature in this apartment is probably 15 - 20℉ warmer than room temperature in your home.

You might risk a small amount.    Remember that this is essentially a way to preserve meat.   And that fall days in Southern Europe are pretty warm.   

eGullet member #80.

On 6/15/2020 at 11:01 PM, heidih said:

I remember a discussion here long ago about Bamba peants, Maybe the incredible @bleudauvergne 

Bamba Peanut Butter Corn Puff Snack

Pairing bamba with aperitifs will be considered quite amusing to Israelis, it is seen as a very non-fancy snack, mostly aimed at young kids and teenagers, often served as a party snack. I'm not a huge fan of it (never liked the texture) but I do think it pairs well with beer.

• Haha 1

~ Shai N.