• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sunset Magazine and Cookbooks

heidih

5 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Always check with abebooks.com before buying a used book.  The international one is $3.82 and the Food with the Gourmet Touch one is $4.66 - free shipping for both.  

Well, heck. I wish I'd known that before. I spent a touch more (not much, really) than I needed to because I didn't know that. Thanks, Kim.

Readers, take note!

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Well, these aren't from the 70's but do fit within Sunset Cookbooks. I have three volumes of the Sunset "Kitchen Cabinet Recipes" that date to 1946.  They contain recipes from the magazine dating back as far as 1934 and are filled with illustrations and quotes that were fitting at that time. I'm not sure, but I think they were most likely owned by my Grandmother Mildred Ross who lived in Prineville, Oregon, on a ranch and was a lifelong subscriber.  Or, they may have been owned by my other Grandmother, Edna Pink, who lived in Twin Falls, Idaho, and was a homemaker and quite the entertainer, including the host of her ladies bridge club.  I can see her using these recipes.  Mother was also a lifelong subscriber and I have the 70's cookbooks she collected.  Her are a few pages from the "Kitchen Cabinet Recipes."  Apparently my Grandmother thought that the Spinach Salad, Armenian, was "O.K."

Sunset Kitchen Cabinet Recipes.jpeg

Sunset Kitchen Cabinet Recipes #2.jpeg

Sunset Kitchen Cabinet Recipes #3.jpeg

• Like 9

These are the three I have.  I bought them all from the bargain table at the bookstore I worked at during college breaks back in the early 90s.  I was a vegetarian then and used them all often.  I don't cook out of them anymore, but keep them for sentimental reasons.

sunset.thumb.jpg.6242aebb500210d90a9b46400f442c2c.jpg

• Like 6

Kim - cheap thrills! - storage space may be the issue. When I tried to pull the Sunsets out they avalanched, I screamed and even the ancient almost deaf oldsters heard me :)

• Haha 4

On 6/16/2020 at 8:31 AM, David Ross said:

Well, these aren't from the 70's but do fit within Sunset Cookbooks. I have three volumes of the Sunset "Kitchen Cabinet Recipes" that date to 1946.  They contain recipes from the magazine dating back as far as 1934 and are filled with illustrations and quotes that were fitting at that time. I'm not sure, but I think they were most likely owned by my Grandmother Mildred Ross who lived in Prineville, Oregon, on a ranch and was a lifelong subscriber.  Or, they may have been owned by my other Grandmother, Edna Pink, who lived in Twin Falls, Idaho, and was a homemaker and quite the entertainer, including the host of her ladies bridge club.  I can see her using these recipes.  Mother was also a lifelong subscriber and I have the 70's cookbooks she collected.  Her are a few pages from the "Kitchen Cabinet Recipes."  Apparently my Grandmother thought that the Spinach Salad, Armenian, was "O.K."

Sunset Kitchen Cabinet Recipes.jpeg

Sunset Kitchen Cabinet Recipes #2.jpeg

Sunset Kitchen Cabinet Recipes #3.jpeg

My mother had this book!      I remember it (almost) well.

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

I'd forgotten that my library has an honor system of used book sales. They always have a rack full of used paperback Sunset cooking and gardening books. (also home improvement).  People donate spare envelopes to be used to slip your money into and drop in slot.

• Like 2

Not sure how it is elsewhere but because of the pandemic our library has discontinued all book sales and is not accepting book donations.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

My new-used copy of the aforementioned Sunset Cookbook has arrived, bringing my Sunset library to a total of 3. I mentioned the "Easy Basics" cookbook before. The fish cookbook is something I picked up at a garage sale a few years ago.

I've been poking around the new-to-me cookbook and think the salad section alone will be worth the purchase.

20200620_185629.jpg

• Like 7

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

On 6/18/2020 at 9:10 AM, Maison Rustique said:

I think I have a couple of the kitchen cabinet books in my collection.. I had this vintage barbecue book but gifted it to a chef friend last winter--I'm downsizing my collection.

I just now followed your link. What a beautiful book  - selling what would (to me, under our current living circumstances) be only a beautiful illusion! In fact, the first house I bought in northern Minnesota had a brick outdoor fireplace built very much like the one shown in one of the sample pages. It was falling apart, and I never repaired it. Now I want to build one here. It's a fantasy that we'd use it enough to justify its existence, but I can dream!

Thanks for that link.

• Like 2