• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Alexander Smalls

heidih

1 minute ago, gfweb said:

Great podcast.

Except for the title, Special Sauce,  which is beyond trite at this point

I think he sold the name maybe. Oh well  Been having fun with friends "trite,  perky, hussy" :"here do I go now" Words are fun

1 minute ago, heidih said:

Words are fun

A pleasure of mine.

Nothing like a good Victorian word in these situations..I'll   see your hussy and raise you a strumpet.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, gfweb said:

A pleasure of mine.

Nothing like a good Victorian word in these situations..I'll   see your hussy and raise you a strumpet.

2 hours ago, gfweb said:

A pleasure of mine.

My son's editor in NYC told him he was kinda Mark Twainish but they could work with him. ! t

• Haha 3

Veering back towards the topic title of Alexander Smalls... for those interesting in listening to more of his speaking, LA cookbook store Now Serving is hosting him on virtual book tour this coming Wednesday, June 17 at 4 PM PDT where he will be speaking with LATimes Cooking Editor Genevieve Ko

You can register for the live web session here:  Now Serving Event Calendar

After the event, you may be able to find it on this page where they have been sharing previous events:  Now Serving Event Recordings

He was also interviewed recently on this episode of Why Food on Heritage Radio. 

Alexander Small's new book is Meals, Music, and Muses: Recipes From My African American Kitchen, available from Amazon or Now Serving

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I received Alexander Smalls most recent cookbook, Meals, Music, and Muses: Recipes from My African American Kitchen, today and it's as delightful to read as his voice is to listen to.

I love how the chapters progress from Jazz (appetizers) through Spirituals (rice, pasta & grits) and Gospel (greens & vegetables) to Opera (fish & seafood), Divas (meat & chicken) and Jukebox Music (bread, biscuits & muffins) and finally end with Serenades (desserts) with a full playlist for each of those sections. 

• Like 2