• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Finding New Uses for Kitchen "Gadgets"

weinoo

I'm making a lot of chicken/vegetable/meat stock lately, and it always gets strained before moved into the fridge. I've used paper coffee filters, cheesecloth, tiny strainers - you name it.

And then I opened a drawer, and there it was...

IMG_1250.jpeg.b136a1dd5f3689505cab88a68343d895.jpeg

The yogurt strainer!  Fits perfectly over a quart container too...genius!!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

In the same vein, but not re-purposing kitchen gadgets, I use (what used to be called) glass curtains as a straining material in all kinds of situations.  I never seem to have cheesecloth when I need it and the sheers, which we brought home from Moab 11 years ago, work perfectly for straining so many things.  

• Like 3

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

3 hours ago, Darienne said:

In the same vein, but not re-purposing kitchen gadgets, I use (what used to be called) glass curtains as a straining material in all kinds of situations.  I never seem to have cheesecloth when I need it and the sheers, which we brought home from Moab 11 years ago, work perfectly for straining so many things.  

Remind me please (I know we discussed this some time ago) what glass curtains are? Are they what would be called "sheers" in the US?

@weinoo, I'd forgotten all about my yogurt strainer since I gave up trying to make my own yogurt. You've given it new life. Many thanks!

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

21 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Remind me please (I know we discussed this some time ago) what glass curtains are? Are they what would be called "sheers" in the US?

I would call them by both names.  Don't know what they are made from.  My Mother had them in the living room under the drapes and the sheers/glass curtains were never drawn open.   We don't have them...but then we don't even have drapes in our living room.  Not even blinds.  My Mother would have been horrified.  Oh, we have no neighbors.   

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

4 minutes ago, Darienne said:

I would call them by both names.  Don't know what they are made from.  My Mother had them in the living room under the drapes and the sheers/glass curtains were never drawn open.   We don't have them...but then we don't even have drapes in our living room.  Not even blinds.  My Mother would have been horrified.  Oh, we have no neighbors.   

Same here on no curtains, no neighbors. It drives me nuts when we're in the Princessmobile, in a park, and have to draw the curtains! I feel entirely too closed in.

• Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Those are made from "sheer voile" an inexpensive fabric that can be purchased by the yard. Average price 3.99. 100% cotton, or a blend of cotton and polyester.

You need two or more layers, depending on how fine you want to strain.  It should be wetted first and placed in a colander and to keep it in place you can use binder clips.  Spring-type clothespins were used when I was a child.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett