• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

rotuts

rotuts

over here :

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/160121-dinner-2020/page/138/?tab=comments#comment-2251422

I made a burger cut from its container.  nice browning , nice Jus from fond.

MC :

https://modernistcuisine.com/mc/the-maillard-reaction/

for review .

Ive had a very nice multi pan set of 3 mm  copper pans w a SS amalgam surface for years.

I gave most of them away , as some were very heavy etc  and not the easiest to clean

Ive moved to a T-Fal set :

TFal.thumb.jpg.de0e8d5cfa0391a554a8081952d294ac.jpg

price has gone up !

so , remember when all the TalkingHeads , ATK  all of them said you brown the meat to seal the juice  in ?

made no sense then , and they have moved on to The Ideal Pan for Fond  which makes your sauce :

"" non-stick pans are not ideal for Fond.  heavy SS pans make a lot of Pan-Fond.

after inhaling my Salisbury Steak-ish dinner , w browning and pan sauce

and several more glasses of Tj's table red :

Ive decided this :

Fond in your pan + Maillard on your meat  ( maybe veg too )  = a constant

the constant has to do w temp of the pan,  time in the pan , and surface area of the meat ( veg)

its a given value for those elements.

in a fancy-pancy thick expensive pan , not non-stick 

more Maillard sticks to the pan , and comes off the meat.

in a non-stick pan , more maillard sticks tp the meat . thus less in the pan

for Sauce.

that's my take on this whole nonsense ;  want more mallard-fond in the pan ?  

use an expensive thick non stick pan.  thick = even heat , less chance of burning.

if your sauce you make from the Fond goes on the Maillard'd meat ,   its going to make little to no difference in the total result.

if you use a good quality nonstick pan,   good quality :  even heat.  very easy clean up.

InVinoVaritas   for sure !

drunk.jpeg.ec90559a9537c48c83e609f1d2eeb028.jpeg

now this has not been studied by me scientifically , w micro-scales etc to measure fond etc

now days Im just A Theoretician 

sometimes a Thirsty One !

rotuts

rotuts

over here :

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/160121-dinner-2020/page/138/?tab=comments#comment-2251422

I made a burger cut from its container.  nice browning , nice Jus from fond.

MC :

https://modernistcuisine.com/mc/the-maillard-reaction/

for review .

Ive had a very nice multi pan set of 3 mm  copper pans w a SS amalgam surface for years.

I gave most of them away , as some were very heavy etc  and not the easiest to clean

Ive moved to a T-Fal set :

TFal.thumb.jpg.de0e8d5cfa0391a554a8081952d294ac.jpg

price has gone up !

so , remember when all the TalkingHeads , ATK  all of them said you brown the meat to keep the juice  in ?

made no sense then , and they have moved on to The Ideal Pan for Fond  which makes your sauce :

"" non-stick pans are not ideal for Fond.  heavy SS pans make a lot of Pan-Fond.

after inhaling my Salisbury Steak-ish dinner , w browning and pan sauce

and several more glasses of Tj's table red :

Ive decided this :

Fond in your pan + Maillard on your meat  ( maybe veg too )  = a constant

the constant has to do w temp of the pan  time in the pan , and surface area of the meat ( veg)

its a given value for those elements.

in a fancy-pancy thick expensive pan , not non-stick 

more Maillard sticks to the pan , and comes off the meat.

in a non-stick pan , more maillard sticks tp the meat . thus less in the pan

for Sauce.

that's my take on this whole nonsense ;  want more mallard-fond ion the pan ?  

use an expensive thick non stick pan.  thick = even heat , less chance of burning.

if your sauce goes on the Maillard'd meat ,   its going to make little to no difference

if you use a good quality nonstick pan,   good quality :  even heat.  very easy clean up.

InVinoVaritas   for sure !

drunk.jpeg.ec90559a9537c48c83e609f1d2eeb028.jpeg

now this has not been studied by me scientifically , w micro-scales etc to measure fond etc

now days Im just A Theoretician 

sometimes a Thirsty One !