• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for more information on paid baking internship programs

sjranaacc

Hey!

I am looking for more information about baking apprenticeship, in or out of the US, starting in the fall of this year. I've been to the Bread Bakers Guild, but I'm wondering if there are any other sites/programs that could help me find an internship.

Cheers!

Hello, and welcome!

I own a bakery just outside of Boston; most of the interns we've had over the  years have come from a local culinary school (CIA, JWU are the big ones then there are small local culinary colleges, and for high school students, there are technical schools with culinary programs).  If you are going to school, see if you can access a program through them.  If not, reach out to places you'd like to work (aim high, all they can say is no) and see what happens. 

If you are active on any FB chef forums/groups, you might post something; be careful and get multiple sources to vouch for any place you are exploring.  The ChefTalk forums have a thread for interns but it isn't always active with posts so you may not have any luck there. 

While in principle I have no problem paying an intern, my experience is that there are *many* mistakes made - this is  learning process after all - and it ends up costing me to have an intern.  Be aware of what you know, and realize that you don't know what you don't know and *always ask*.  I would rather explain something three times, or stop what I am doing to show what I mean by beaten egg whites for dacqoise than to pay you for the time it took, the ingredients (for the failed time(s) and the successful one) and the time lost in having to do it over.

Best of luck in your search!  Let us know how it goes.

• Like 2