• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recommendations for French Fry Cutter, Heavy Duty/Commercial

khcrafts

I've been looking for a several days trying to find a heavy duty/commercial fryer.  I've been looking at Weston;  Webstaurant online features  a brand called choice... and there are a couple other brands.... 

Does any one have one they recommend or one to stay away from?

This for personal use in my kitchen....  I also have seen recommendations for just using a knife..... however I have tried many brands of knives and i can not get  them to cut straight.  I've also seen the plastic inexpensive ones and i'm wanting something sturdier; i'm afraid the plastic parts would break easier

Suggestions?

Edited by Smithy
Adjusted title for clarity (log)

• 3 months later...
On 6/6/2020 at 12:17 PM, khcrafts said:

This for personal use in my kitchen....  I also have seen recommendations for just using a knife..... however I have tried many brands of knives and i can not get  them to cut straight.  I've also seen the plastic inexpensive ones and i'm wanting something sturdier; i'm afraid the plastic parts would break easier

Help me understand how different brands of knives don't cut straight?  Sounds more like user error, no? Also, aren't imperfect fries just as delicious (and more homemade looking) than every fry looking exactly the same?

Here's a quickie video which may help...

And in lieu of a fry cutter, how about a mandoline, which will then be able to be used for many other things?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?