• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bob Evans breakfast sausage.

I was  wondering if anyone who regularly has this has noticed a difference it taste?  I have cut sausage out of breakfast for the most part.  I have cut breakfast out of my daily menu for the most part.  I have been losing weight (finally). I sometimes still eat breakfast food but at lunch time.  So I have not had sausage as often as I used to and I used to think Bob Evans sausage was very good but when I have it from time to time now, I don't like it nearly as much and so I was wondering whether it's just me, my tastes have changed or if anyone else has wondered if they changed the recipe? 

• Like 1

absolute it has changed.

I cut a one pound roll into 12 slices and 'half fry' them, then freeze.

they get nuked "on demand"

suddenly they got super healthy - almost no fat renders out when pan frying.

and they don't taste the same either.

I'm a patty fan - and I've tried all the usuals - obviously I need to start looking at links.....

• Like 2

I can't tell you id BE has changed.

Id like to add I very very much prefer sausage 

for a breakfast item.

Ill use the bacon , high end bacon in other preps 

In the past , Ive always preferred 

Jones sausage.  Preferably in The Tube

I then Fz , but Ive done the Jones Sausage in the Tube

SV  . w my Vac'd system.   130 etc

its cooked , I slice it and in a few seconds in the Micro or

we eggs in the pan , I , in the past can have very good quality 

sausage any tine wi  want it.

if you are unhappy w B.E. 

and you cant get , w in reason 

Jones  , in the tube 

try it.

• Like 1

I, too, think that the Bob Evans quality has gone down in the past few years.  We used to buy either that or Jimmy Dean when we wanted regular breakfast sausage.  A few years ago, we found the Bob Evans to be tasteless and greasy without being unctuous.  We've settled on Jimmy Dean exclusively now.  I've never bought the Jones tube - only the links.  I'll have to see if they have them at our stores.  My favorite breakfast sausage is, unfortunately, not available in stores outside of NC.  It is Neeses sausage.  Great product and a great story.  

• Like 3

I used to be able to buy Tennessee Pride brand sausage here but I haven’t seen any in some time.  We actually preferred it over Jimmy Dean’s.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lindag said:

I used to be able to buy Tennessee Pride brand sausage here but I haven’t seen any in some time.  We actually preferred it over Jimmy Dean’s.

Made up in my home 'hood in West Tennessee.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Bob Evans was my go to sausage 20 years ago, when I first started cooking for myself.  Then I discovered that I preferred Jimmy Dean.  Since then, I have concluded that when I am buying supermarket sausage, a lower fat content is a positive signifier.  Tennessee Pride is one go-to.

All that said, I have a friend selling sausage from their own pigs, and that is definitely our household favorite.

• Like 2

I think both Bob Evans and JD have changed in the past few years,  in the lack of fat, quality of the pork and the grind.

I can't get Jones where I live.

I've taken to buying ground pork and making my own. For the moment, I'm happy.

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 2

Oh, great.  Thanks, guys...now I am craving sage breakfast sausage the way my Pop liked them.  Slow cooked so they got nice and crusty.  We would have them on Sundays after church with waffles and maple syrup.  I'll skip the waffle but bring on the syrup.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

On 5/30/2020 at 2:16 PM, rotuts said:

I can't tell you id BE has changed.

Id like to add I very very much prefer sausage 

for a breakfast item.

Ill use the bacon , high end bacon in other preps 

In the past , Ive always preferred 

Jones sausage.  Preferably in The Tube

I then Fz , but Ive done the Jones Sausage in the Tube

SV  . w my Vac'd system.   130 etc

its cooked , I slice it and in a few seconds in the Micro or

we eggs in the pan , I , in the past can have very good quality 

sausage any tine wi  want it.

if you are unhappy w B.E. 

and you cant get , w in reason 

Jones  , in the tube 

try it.

I don't think I have seen it in stores here.  I may have to order some.  I trimmed some pork ribs recently and ground the trimming and tried an Irish sausage recipe.  It wasn't a breakfast sausage we are used to.

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 1
  • Delicious 1

As far as texture, I have noticed about a year ago that both Bob Evans and Jimmy Dean are not as firm .  I like to cut them thick and press them out into a bigger round and I noticed when I did that that they were both looser or softer in feel before cooking them.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

As far as texture, I have noticed about a year ago that both Bob Evans and Jimmy Dean are not as firm .  I like to cut them thick and press them out into a bigger round and I noticed when I did that that they were both looser or softer in feel before cooking them.

When I did the Jimmy Dean SV method, the texture was quite dense and easy to sear once sliced.   I think its a good way to cook sausage in the chub.   @rotuts was one of the first to bring it to my attention.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, lemniscate said:

When I did the Jimmy Dean SV method, the texture was quite dense and easy to sear once sliced.   I think its a good way to cook sausage in the chub.   @rotuts was one of the first to bring it to my attention.

Where do you find 3 lb. chubs?  Also, were the slices juicy after searing?  Thanks!

10 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Where do you find 3 lb. chubs?  Also, were the slices juicy after searing?  Thanks!

We have a Costco Business that carries the bigger chubs.  Our normal Costco warehouse stopped carrying that size quite a while ago.   I have to be on the other side of town to get them now.   I've done this with the supermarket size chubs and it works just the same.   The slices are moist, but not greasy since the grease is rendered out in the SV bag.   Makes a great texture for sausage english muffin sandwiches.   I freeze it in 4 slice portions after searing for convenience.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, MetsFan5 said:

Just a FYI that the Jones turkey sausage (which was delivered as a sub for the pork version) isn’t great. 

I see any product where turkey is subbed for pork or beef as suspect.

• Like 1