• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sign in to follow this  
heidih

2020 Farmers Markets

Some of the beautiful produce World Central Kitchen has been giving out at NYC farmers markets.

Image may contain: fruit and food

• Like 9

Our markets aren't opening until June, which really isn't a problem as we have a later growing season in Eastern, WA.  The latest update is that we will see like above, some fresh produce being given out for free.  We've already seen farmers give out thousands of pounds of russet potatoes that were in storage from last fall that they didn't want to till under. I'm looking forward to it.

• Like 1

I asked my favorite farmer how they were doing, Their land is about 45 miles south of me. Labor getting dicey and the oddness of our weather made them toss out their usual succession planting schemes. Adjusting...

I love this time of year. Farmers Market haul this morning, plus some beef, pork and chicken.20200613_110516.thumb.jpg.04f4c4fcd92aefb4cac227aa5686671e.jpg

Will be making kraut tomorrow morning.

• Like 6

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Bountiful haul today.

20200627_090007.thumb.jpg.5248fe0bd070edda7a4feab1b45912ed.jpg

Massive bunch of glads, sunflowers, zinnia. ( I am NOT a flower arranger.)

Peaches, green beans, new potatoes, okra, tomatoes. Could have had cucumbers, assorted squash, lettuces, but i had all that here.

Veggie dinner tonight. Squash casserole, zucchini fritters, green beans with new potatoes, fried green tomatoes. Peaches over ice cream. Y'all come on.

• Like 9

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Have not been able to get to farmers market but was gifted some incredible Oxnard strawberries and home grown cherry tomatoes. The scent; the taste - I think I dreamt about them last night. 

• Like 1

So sketchy! My husband braved our usual farmers' market last week. No tomatoes at all. Very very good bicolor corn. Excellent Santa Rosa plums. Lousy underripe apricots. Delicious strawberries. Of course you couldn't pick the produce yourself, just had to rely on a pre-packed bag, and you couldn't peel back the corn husks to get a peek, either. But early corn is usually very sweet and worm-free from our favorite vendor. One of the largest vendors was absent, and that's where we get tomatoes and herbs. Surprising about the lack tomatoes, since some of our regular markets have been stocking decent heirlooms for the last few weeks. Ah well, it is what it is. These days it is best not to count on anything. 

• Like 3

Our produce stand haul from this weekend:

IMG_2769.jpg.165572b300dd8d6e8689916cb694844e.jpg

Mr. Kim has plans for gazpacho later today.  The corn is from Florida, but was incredibly crunchy and fresh tasting.  I always check the stem ends and they were very damp.  This corn was shipped properly.  

• Like 5

Sign in to follow this