• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Koji Alchemy

Vapre

Just got my copy today. I am hoping to get into more complex fermentations and black fruits/veg this year. This, combined with the Noma guide to fermentation (as well as both of Sandor Katz's books) will provide a good starting base. Anyone else get a copy yet?

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Vapre said:

Just got my copy today. I am hoping to get into more complex fermentations and black fruits/veg this year. This, combined with the Noma guide to fermentation (as well as both of Sandor Katz's books) will provide a good starting base. Anyone else get a copy yet?

Jeremy and I have been friends for quite some time and watching his knowledge expand has been so inspiring. My kitchen's goal, too, is veg charcuterie, and so we're delving into the book full steam.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Unpopular opinion but I'm actually not a fan of Katz's writing. I did extremely like the Noma book and I'm enticed by the possibilities brought up in KA...still thinking about what kind of fermentation chamber to build to work with the koji examples. I'm not new to playing with microbes, but I am excited to work with moulds in depth for the first time.

• Like 1

I got my copy a week ago or so, and my spores are here (I went with the ones they sell at Modernist Pantry)... now I just have to decide where to start. I guess a long-grain rice koji to start, and then turn it into Amazake as the next step? That seems like a reasonable starting place to me.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I'd suggest that the way to go for something like this would be to plan the sort of thing you want to use the koji for, in terms of the products you'd like to make, and tailor it to that end - as it's a very versatile tool.