• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Repainting my kitchen cabinets

Norm Matthews

I saw an episode on the Property Brothers where they did  kitchen cabinets in dark blue.  I showed Charlie some kitchen like that on line. He liked them too. I have been planning new floor and counter tops but this I could do myself. The job isn't finished but it is far enough along to see how it looks.  The next one was taken within a month of so after we moved in in 2012 and the last one is how it looked in April.

20200523_185036.jpg

20200523_185048.jpg

DSCF4068.jpeg

20180820_094122.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 13

1 hour ago, heidih said:

You are a brave soul. I really like the dark blue. Head and shoulders above the old.

Thank you. My main concern was that the dark color would close in the kitchen and make it seem smaller.. and it is small in the first place. It probably would have been safer to match the gray on the stove but I really liked the dark navy color.

• Like 2

Looks very nice.  

What is the original surface of the cupboard doors and what kind of paint did you use, please?

Our kitchen cupboard doors have suffered hard wear and really need something, especially the edges which are chewed.   Every now and then we say to each other...something must be done...and then we go back to our respective current obsessions.  :blush:

• Haha 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

When I lived in a condominium, I painted my bathroom vanity cabinets. It is amazing what a change if color and some new handles/knobs will do, small cost for a big change. The challange with painting kitchen cabinets is thorough degreasing before application to ensure the paint looks good, and lasts.

• Like 2

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

FWIW, a friend of mine years ago had kitchen cupboards he'd painted with automotive enamel (on the logic that it was designed for durability, cleanability, chip resistance, etc; and came in a range of bold colors). That was 10 years before I knew him, and they were holding up well.

That being said, I suspect this would be the exact opposite of a low-VOC option and would require some serious attention to ventilation.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

11 hours ago, Norm Matthews said:

Thank you. My main concern was that the dark color would close in the kitchen and make it seem smaller.  and it is small in the first place. It probably would have been safer to match the gray on the stove but I really liked the dark navy color.

No there is something about that blue that is far from "darkness" and it works with the stainless. I don't 

see pull hardware so all finger groove? Otherwise stainless pulls would tie things.  Far from yours but interesting - Food 52 showed a black cabinet kitchen today  https://food52.com/blog/25310-black-kitchen-decor-ideas

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, heidih said:

Far from yours but interesting - Food 52 showed a black cabinet kitchen today  https://food52.com/blog/25310-black-kitchen-decor-ideas

We've had white kitchens for 50 years now and I'd be loathe to risk taking on any color at all.  The decor in our kitchen is in primary colors, bowls mostly, sitting on the wide window sills.   

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

My white kitchen is the first time I've ever had white cabinets -- well, except when I was a kid, and that doesn't count. We have granite tops, light gray walls, and a wood-look ceramic tile floor in a sort of pickled gray.

I'm contemplating replacing the kitchen island I bought when we moved in with a larger one. Child A, whom I usually trust in matters of decorating, wants to do it in dark gray. Nope. We're staying white. I love it.

To prep for painting, I'd clean with some sort of acid-based cleaner (maybe even vinegar and water) to cut the grease, etc., that settles on them. Then rough up just a little with sandpaper, and then paint with high-gloss enamel. I've seen cabinets done with boat deck enamel that were gorgeous. Automotive enamel would be, as well (have seen furniture pieces done in that). But a good high-gloss indoor-outdoor enamel from the local paint or hardware store will work just fine.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I like navy blue. IMO, it's a neutral color (in a good way). Looks like you have a lot of light coming through the sink window. If you're still concerned about enough light, maybe some under-cabinet lighting would help. (Underneath the upper cabinets.)

• Like 1

On 5/24/2020 at 8:04 AM, Darienne said:

Looks very nice.  

What is the original surface of the cupboard doors and what kind of paint did you use, please?

Our kitchen cupboard doors have suffered hard wear and really need something, especially the edges which are chewed.   Every now and then we say to each other...something must be done...and then we go back to our respective current obsessions.  :blush:

Thank you.  The cabinet doors were originally 1980's wood but the previous owners painted them white. I painted them with Behr Marquee Dark Navy in eggshell latex. Color number S530-7

• Like 1

On 5/24/2020 at 8:58 AM, heidih said:

No there is something about that blue that is far from "darkness" and it works with the stainless. I don't 

see pull hardware so all finger groove? Otherwise stainless pulls would tie things.  Far from yours but interesting - Food 52 showed a black cabinet kitchen today  https://food52.com/blog/25310-black-kitchen-decor-ideas

That is a bit more daring than I would have the courage to do.  I notice all but one had very modern furnishings and the all kept some very large areas white for contrast.  I can't imagine how many coats of new paint would be needed to cover the black if they ever decide to change their minds. :)  

a facebook friend in California said her neighbor painted his kitchen it dark blue and had put in a copper farmhouse sink.  I agree that matching stainless pulls would a nice accent. 

On 5/24/2020 at 2:45 PM, MokaPot said:

I like navy blue. IMO, it's a neutral color (in a good way). Looks like you have a lot of light coming through the sink window. If you're still concerned about enough light, maybe some under-cabinet lighting would help. (Underneath the upper cabinets.)

Good idea. Thanks.

Blue, a perfect color for a kitchen.

It is well known in science that the color blue is an appetite suppressant. You really don't want to be hungry every time you are in the kitchen and start raiding the refrigerator.

On the other hand, red is the complementary afterimage of blue. So food looks more delicious cooked in a blue kitchen.

Best of both worlds. Well done.

dcarch

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1