• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Posted (edited)

I saw an episode on the Property Brothers where they did  kitchen cabinets in dark blue.  I showed Charlie some kitchen like that on line. He liked them too. I have been planning new floor and counter tops but this I could do myself. The job isn't finished but it is far enough along to see how it looks.  The next one was taken within a month of so after we moved in in 2012 and the last one is how it looked in April.

20200523_185036.jpg

20200523_185048.jpg

DSCF4068.jpeg

20180820_094122.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 13
1 hour ago, heidih said:

You are a brave soul. I really like the dark blue. Head and shoulders above the old.

Thank you. My main concern was that the dark color would close in the kitchen and make it seem smaller.. and it is small in the first place. It probably would have been safer to match the gray on the stove but I really liked the dark navy color.

• Like 2

Looks very nice.  

What is the original surface of the cupboard doors and what kind of paint did you use, please?

Our kitchen cupboard doors have suffered hard wear and really need something, especially the edges which are chewed.   Every now and then we say to each other...something must be done...and then we go back to our respective current obsessions.  :blush:

• Haha 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Life in the Meadows and Rivers

Cheers & Chocolates

When I lived in a condominium, I painted my bathroom vanity cabinets. It is amazing what a change if color and some new handles/knobs will do, small cost for a big change. The challange with painting kitchen cabinets is thorough degreasing before application to ensure the paint looks good, and lasts.

• Like 2

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

FWIW, a friend of mine years ago had kitchen cupboards he'd painted with automotive enamel (on the logic that it was designed for durability, cleanability, chip resistance, etc; and came in a range of bold colors). That was 10 years before I knew him, and they were holding up well.

That being said, I suspect this would be the exact opposite of a low-VOC option and would require some serious attention to ventilation.

• Like 1

“What is called sound economics is very often what mirrors the needs of the respectably affluent.” - John Kenneth Galbraith

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Norm Matthews said:

Thank you. My main concern was that the dark color would close in the kitchen and make it seem smaller.  and it is small in the first place. It probably would have been safer to match the gray on the stove but I really liked the dark navy color.

No there is something about that blue that is far from "darkness" and it works with the stainless. I don't 

see pull hardware so all finger groove? Otherwise stainless pulls would tie things.  Far from yours but interesting - Food 52 showed a black cabinet kitchen today  https://food52.com/blog/25310-black-kitchen-decor-ideas

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1
Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, heidih said:

Far from yours but interesting - Food 52 showed a black cabinet kitchen today  https://food52.com/blog/25310-black-kitchen-decor-ideas

We've had white kitchens for 50 years now and I'd be loathe to risk taking on any color at all.  The decor in our kitchen is in primary colors, bowls mostly, sitting on the wide window sills.   

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Life in the Meadows and Rivers

Cheers & Chocolates

My white kitchen is the first time I've ever had white cabinets -- well, except when I was a kid, and that doesn't count. We have granite tops, light gray walls, and a wood-look ceramic tile floor in a sort of pickled gray.

I'm contemplating replacing the kitchen island I bought when we moved in with a larger one. Child A, whom I usually trust in matters of decorating, wants to do it in dark gray. Nope. We're staying white. I love it.

To prep for painting, I'd clean with some sort of acid-based cleaner (maybe even vinegar and water) to cut the grease, etc., that settles on them. Then rough up just a little with sandpaper, and then paint with high-gloss enamel. I've seen cabinets done with boat deck enamel that were gorgeous. Automotive enamel would be, as well (have seen furniture pieces done in that). But a good high-gloss indoor-outdoor enamel from the local paint or hardware store will work just fine.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I like navy blue. IMO, it's a neutral color (in a good way). Looks like you have a lot of light coming through the sink window. If you're still concerned about enough light, maybe some under-cabinet lighting would help. (Underneath the upper cabinets.)

• Like 1

When I worked for a furniture company we told people to use Lestoil, which you can get at Home Depot.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

On 5/24/2020 at 8:04 AM, Darienne said:

Looks very nice.  

What is the original surface of the cupboard doors and what kind of paint did you use, please?

Our kitchen cupboard doors have suffered hard wear and really need something, especially the edges which are chewed.   Every now and then we say to each other...something must be done...and then we go back to our respective current obsessions.  :blush:

Thank you.  The cabinet doors were originally 1980's wood but the previous owners painted them white. I painted them with Behr Marquee Dark Navy in eggshell latex. Color number S530-7

• Like 1
On 5/24/2020 at 8:58 AM, heidih said:

No there is something about that blue that is far from "darkness" and it works with the stainless. I don't 

see pull hardware so all finger groove? Otherwise stainless pulls would tie things.  Far from yours but interesting - Food 52 showed a black cabinet kitchen today  https://food52.com/blog/25310-black-kitchen-decor-ideas

That is a bit more daring than I would have the courage to do.  I notice all but one had very modern furnishings and the all kept some very large areas white for contrast.  I can't imagine how many coats of new paint would be needed to cover the black if they ever decide to change their minds. :)  

a facebook friend in California said her neighbor painted his kitchen it dark blue and had put in a copper farmhouse sink.  I agree that matching stainless pulls would a nice accent. 

On 5/24/2020 at 2:45 PM, MokaPot said:

I like navy blue. IMO, it's a neutral color (in a good way). Looks like you have a lot of light coming through the sink window. If you're still concerned about enough light, maybe some under-cabinet lighting would help. (Underneath the upper cabinets.)

Good idea. Thanks.

Blue, a perfect color for a kitchen.

It is well known in science that the color blue is an appetite suppressant. You really don't want to be hungry every time you are in the kitchen and start raiding the refrigerator.

On the other hand, red is the complementary afterimage of blue. So food looks more delicious cooked in a blue kitchen.

Best of both worlds. Well done.

dcarch

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Similar Content

• By Porthos
      For economic reasons we've had to defer a lot of maintenance items in our home. We can now start. We are planning on selling and relocating on another state, hopefully next year. 

Item one on our list is the kitchen. This is not a remodel, just all new surfaces. We've elected to reface our cabinets. My (still hoping) Blue Star range will be after we move.

I had a misguided and idealistic expectation that we would go to Home Depot, pick out everything we wanted in one trip and proceed.  This is not to be. You can stop laughing any time. We don't need any new appliances so that part is simple.

I didn't take any before pictures but it's a typical California tract home built in the 80s.

Because this is going to take WAY longer than I expected we're working on the front bathroom in tandem.  We have a relative that was an employment victim of COVID 19 so we're paying for some much-needed labor to help us along. Oh, and I really HATE painting. In the kitchen we've stripped off the 25+ y/o wallpaper and are prepping the walls for a primer coat. Tomorrow we'll start on cleaning and sanding the ceiling. 

The biggie in the kitchen is repairing the wall behind the sink. There's a bit of black mold to deal with but I've purchased the right PPE and can handle that.

Wish us luck.
    • By Dryden
      Hi folks!  We are redoing our kitchen and while we know what we're doing most everywhere, it turns out we need to upgrade our existing range hood to something new and we know nothing whatsoever about them.  We're in an apartment, so it needs to be a non-venting hood.

Does anyone have one they really like (and why?)  Price not an object here at all.  It's for a 36" range if that matters at all.

Thanks!
    • By Franci
      I need your help guys in organizing my thoughts. It looks like we are going to be moving again, still in Miami this time. The only difference is that we are buying a place for the very first time after 20 years of moving around. It feels premature to me to add picture because, we haven’t signed a contract yet, we only made an offer and it has been accepted. 

Of course, I am already thinking of what I need to buy for the kitchen. I am not going to renovate the kitchen. It is honestly not the ideal time and even if it’s not my dream kitchen, it has been done 2 years ago. We have an outdoor patio and I am hoping to do a lot of cooking outside, especially at night. So, I am telling you what I have and what for sure I’ll be needing. 

The cooktop looks vitroceramic and the oven I don’t remember which brand it is but definitely I will replace it. I don’t know yet if I can get gas there but I had one experience with an induction cooktop in the past and it was great. It was Sauter, which is common in France. It was something like this and I wouldn’t mind something similar. 

So, first induction cooktop, I don’t have a clue of prices out there,  if I recall correctly,  I spent 500 euros at the time. 

Second, oven. Let talk about ideal. In this house I have a Wolf oven which allows me to go to 550F, which is really cool so I can make some pizza in teglia.

I had a couple ovens in the past that I loved for different reasons.
      1. I had a tabletop Cadco oven (Stefania), half sheet 120V with manual, external steam injection and it could reach 550F. Because of the manual steam, it was awesome to make bread with that oven and to make pizza in teglia again. So sorry I sold it for little when I closed my business. But honestly it’s not the first choice for home use, not too pretty or practical to have on the countertop. 2. I had the CSO and I really loved it but doesn’t solve the problem of making bread or pizza in teglia. 

Now 
      the outdoor I was thinking either the ZioCiro mini , which is really like a miniature brick oven, differently than the Ooni  which is another candidate, you can use also for cooking bread or small round trays of food.  The Zio Ciro anyway is not big enough for pizza in teglia. I wish I can get an Effeuno honestly. 

So, I see myself wanting 5 ovens at the same time 😁 A pizza oven for the outdoor but don’t want to spend 3,000 for a bigger ZioCiro. A CSO, a steam oven for bread and an Effeuno for pizza in teglia and and air fryer if it’s not too much to ask 🤣🤣🤣, you got the situation. Ok, I need to make choices. And no, I don’t have a budget yet because it will depend on the final price of the house and some extra work we are doing from a room and a bathroom. 

And finally, yes, I want also a vacuum chamber, thanks,  and would really love to have a irinox blast chiller. I know I am very reasonable 

The kitchen is not huge and I cannot start cluttering it with my stuff.  Maybe something like my Wolf oven that reaches 550F plus a steam function with bread. And a CSO for daily use? Ooni outside or I cannot resist the ZioCiro anyway. Does it should more reasonable. Do you have such an oven to suggest? Thanks  

• By lindag
      My new house is in the early stages; it is barely framed up but I'm already dreaming of my dream kitchen.
      Yesterday I went to our one big appliance store (other than HD and Lowe's) and I think I'm going to go wild with the new units.
      First up I'm thinking of a Sub-Zero side by side.  A Thermador 30" slide-in dual fuel range, a Bosch d/w as well as a new m/w and a new hood of a type yet to be determined.  All this is really overkill since I'm by no means a big presence in the kitchen, and these expensive appliances do not define the home which is really rather modest.  But I'm figuring this is my last rodeo, if you will.
      I have heard of some folk having trouble with Sub-Zero repairs so I plan to add a warranty protection plan..
      Anyone have any negative experiences with any of these brands?\

ETA: I have been reading reviews online about Sub-Zero fridges and I may have to re-think that choice.  Those reviews are not good.
      Much as I'd like to have a custom-size I'm beginning to have grave concerns about repairs.
    • By mumkin
      I am in the process of packing up my kitchen—we’re about to demo and remodel—and am sorting about 20 years of accumulated cookery bits into pack/donate/trash categories. Which led me to an article from the expert advisors at Epicurious, “The 9 Kitchen Tools You Need to Replace Every Year,” in which they advocate for an annual household purging of Microplanes, cutting boards, paring knives, dish towels and more (ideally replaced via convenient affiliate links). 

Two questions (at least) arise from this:
      How much cheese and nutmeg grating does it take to dull a Microplane? I haven’t noticed a diminution in mine’s powers, and I’m pretty sure it’s at least decade old. Is there anything that you do replace annually on principle, regardless of its condition?  
      For the record, I don't think they're wrong about sponges.

(Also, Hello! I’ve been away from eGullet for quite a while and am ineligible to post a Welcome Our New Members Thread, but I’m a domestic dabbler in Portland, Ore. Mostly stovetop and sous vide of late, since my ovens have been out of commission for a few years… looking forward to getting my bake on soon).