• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gift Card Shopping - stores going away?

Kim Shook

I've been reading about various stores going under soon.  Penneys, Pier 1, multiple department stores closing locations, etc.  We had a gift card from Sur la Table that I'd given to Mr. Kim years ago when he mentioned wanting to take a knife skills class.  He never used it and I read about Sur la Table possibly declaring bankruptcy.  So, I decided to use it.  I got these Oxo Good Grips non-stick skillets (8-inch and 10-inch) and this 9x9-inch square pan (bonus – it fits in the CSO):

IMG_2279.jpg.20b81948ac8c99ae380ee9be2a09bfda.jpg

IMG_2286.jpg.5e00f8bbcb6b2ba919eebc2aa89eb655.jpg

I went through all of our cards (we are really bad about using them) and the only other food related ones I found (other than grocery stores) was two $50 from Penzey's.  Is anyone else doing this?

Edited by Kim Shook (log)
  • Like 5

The Souplantation chain in San Diego/Southern California (which was a salad & soup buffet) just decided to close permanently. They couldn't figure out how to still have a self-serve buffet in the time of the pandemic (is it just me or hasn't anyone ever been to Panda Express? It's set up as a buffet but the employees dish out the food, not the customers).

My brother and his family had multiple gift cards to the Souplantation (they loved the restaurant) and now the gift cards are worthless, of course.

I was able to warn my sister-in-law to use up her Pier 1 gift cards back when there were the initial rumblings in the financial sections of the newspaper/media that they weren't doing well financially. I hope she was able to use all of them.

So, yes, Kim I share your gift card pain.:(

• Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I have a small Pier One gift card I never used. I thought about it last year when there were inklings, but I didn’t really find anything I wanted to buy...so no big loss. I only get multi-tasking gift cards (Amazon, Target) or our local bank does stored value gift cards that can be used just like a debit card, any store. A lot of restaurants were selling gift cards to raise money during the pandemic, but I wondered how many of them might not survive long enough for redemption.

• Like 3

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

I’m only doing Amazon and Target gift cards now.  I do have a Rubio's gift card but there’s not one near me.  It was a gift from work and there is one close to the now shut down office.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, BeeZee said:

I have a small Pier One gift card I never used. I thought about it last year when there were inklings, but I didn’t really find anything I wanted to buy...so no big loss. I only get multi-tasking gift cards (Amazon, Target) or our local bank does stored value gift cards that can be used just like a debit card, any store. A lot of restaurants were selling gift cards to raise money during the pandemic, but I wondered how many of them might not survive long enough for redemption.

I wondered the same thing about the restaurant gift cards.  We are eating out as much as we feel we can, but didn't buy any gift cards.  I have one for the Outback group for $25 that was a gift.  We don't care for Outback or Carrabba's, but we like Bonefish appetizers and will probably use that soon.  

Odd thing.  Sur la Table sent me an additional identical baking pan.  I just sent them an email asking what they want me to do.  

18 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Odd thing.  Sur la Table sent me an additional identical baking pan.  I just sent them an email asking what they want me to do.  

Perhaps they have an office party coming up and want you to bake something for it. xD

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

It's high school graduation time, and this is when I usually buy a lot of gift cards. I do, though, tend toward just the Visa or Mastercard ones, figuring the kids can then spend them wherever they wish.

I did finally get around to using my Zaxby's gift cards, which someone gave me for Christmas. They have a decent Cobb salad.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I used some of my Penzey's gift card $ today:

IMG_2296.jpg.850823f7e5267e7ae364351340a74df1.jpg

Garlic, BBQ 3000 (Mr. Kim uses it in his rub for smoking pork) and a new mix called Justice: shallots, garlic, onion, green peppercorns, chives, and green onions - no salt.  The way Penzey's stores are working just now is you call them and leave your number.  They call you back and get your order and payment and what time you want to pick it up and leave it in a big bin outside the door.  No contact.  It worked well and I love buying from them anyway.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 5/21/2020 at 12:17 PM, Kim Shook said:

IMG_2286.jpg.5e00f8bbcb6b2ba919eebc2aa89eb655.jpg

I went through all of our cards (we are really bad about using them) and the only other food related ones I found (other than grocery stores) was two $50 from Penzey's.  Is anyone else doing this?

I love USA PAN pans; they're my favourite. I don't buy anything else bakingwise, anymore.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Kim Shook 

Penzey's granulated powders are the best.

its important to keep them well sealed , as they lump up after a while.

since i have a VacSealer , I put most of the 8 oz in a Vac'd bag , and keep a little out

in one of those small spice containers.  works well.

sometimes I cut a Vac Bag in 1/2 , as this smaller bag works better.  seal the new edge and

then the powder.   BTW I save 4 cents along the way !

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1