• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New microwave makes static on radio

gfweb

Our old uwave died. The new one makes static on the radio just by being plugged in. It's on a different circuit but about 6 inches away.

Any fixes? A static cancelling plug or something?

Anything to look for in a unit to avoid this?

There could be a lot of reasons why the new one is creating RF problems.  There could be a bad connection that is arcing somewhere that is causing the interference...  The fact that it is creating RF just being being plugged in and not turned on is not a good sign.  Maybe it's a defect?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, jandreas said:

It will also probably kill your wifi signal when the magnetometer gets excited.   

That’s most microwaves, though, because they operate within the similar 2.4Ghz spectrum as some of the wi-fi protocols. What model is the new microwave? This might be an issue others have noticed. 

16 minutes ago, jimb0 said:

That’s most microwaves, though, because they operate within the similar 2.4Ghz spectrum as some of the wi-fi protocols. What model is the new microwave? This might be an issue others have noticed. 

This makes static just sitting there, plugged-in but not cooking.

Its whatever Amazon Basics actually is.

I know, I was just replying about the wi-fi interference. Unfortunately, EM pollution is a common problem with appliances. It’s hard to know from here whether it’s line noise that the radio is picking up (despite the different circuit) or if it’s actual EM interference (and whether that’s caused by a noisy cap (probably, or similar) or an actual defect). If it’s EM interference there’s probably nothing you can do except move either the radio or the microwave, or put a metal box around most of the microwave. 

Edited by jimb0 (log)

I've never had my microwave cause any problems to my wifi signal - and my microwave is probably less than 20 feet from my router.  Most microwave ovens don't have a powerful magnetron - but instead use the properties of a resonant cavity to amplify the signal to do the cooking.  Plus, the microwave should have some kind of shielding around the magnetron/cavity otherwise it could induce currents in random wires and fry circuits all over the place.  Especially since you're getting interference without it operating - just sitting plugged in makes me think this is a different problem - maybe a bad solder connection on the control board or a bad capacitor - whatever - if this is a new uwave, you shouldn't have to MacGyver it or have to take it apart - a new appliance shouldn't do what it's doing just by being plugged in.  Unless the problem is coming from your wall outlet (maybe a wire is loose and arcing there? - now only discovered after unplugging a long standing device and plugging in something new), I would contact customer service for the uwave and get a replacement.

You could try an RF choke on the microwave's power cord, but really...if it's just sitting there like a lump, it shouldn't be interfering with anything.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

The first thing that I would try would be to plug the radio and the microwave into separate circuits. That might mean running a cord from another room for the test depending on how your house is wired. Agree that it is odd that it would be causing interference while not in use but it could be that it has added some noise to the power circuit for which your radio is not well shielded. If that's the case, it could be an actual flaw in either the radio or the microwave, poor electrical engineering of the microwave and/or radio, or that there is an issue with the wiring on that circuit. Annoying problem in any case.

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

I've never had my microwave cause any problems to my wifi signal - and my microwave is probably less than 20 feet from my router.

This effect is extremely common and very widespread. It actually almost certainly causes some degree of interference, but you probably don't really notice it. For me it's really only obvious with certain bluetooth headphones, and only when I'm standing on top of the microwave. Plus, microwaves are liable to be tuned slightly differently from model to model.

6 hours ago, gfweb said:

I just put a surge suppressor between the receptacle and the microwave.  Static is gone.

Success!

That should not be necessary.  I'd return the unit and start again.  Disclaimer:  I am not a microwave owner.  Though I am a holder of an FCC amateur and commercial license.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Sounds like @gfweb got the problem worked out. But for future reference, you can do Amazon returns at Whole Foods. I did it once and it was really easy. You don't have to deal with trying to re-package it nicely, etc. You initiate the return online. IIRC, they email you a QRA code for your return. The Whole Foods store should have a designated customer service checkout counter.

20 minutes ago, MokaPot said:

Sounds like @gfweb got the problem worked out. But for future reference, you can do Amazon returns at Whole Foods. I did it once and it was really easy. You don't have to deal with trying to re-package it nicely, etc. You initiate the return online. IIRC, they email you a QRA code for your return. The Whole Foods store should have a designated customer service checkout counter.

Good to know, but whole foods is even farther than the UPS places!