• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Asian

Sha

I am a Malaysia Indian residing in Singapore. I love food and like cooking. I came up with my own fusion cooking using a bit of Indian, Chinese and Malay in my cooking. My idea is to have 99% of the traditional taste and cook with basic ingredients, as much as possible. I also like cooking with shortest time possible. Nowadays, everyone are busy and want to get things done fast. Looking forward to learn something new in this forum.

Malaysia has many varieties of food and there is no problem to what we want to eat. We have Malay, Chinese, Indian, Western, Thailand, Korean and many more. Malaysia is a heaven for food. Furthermore, we have 24hours restaurants and one can have food anytime.  But since MCO, things are different now. Operating hours for restaurants are till 8.00 pm or 10.00 pm and mostly take-away only. We hope for the best to happen soon, where things will be back to normal.

Here is a recipe known as "Nasi Lemak" which is a Malay traditional food.  This food is popularly available in any part of Malaysia and Singapore served with coconut rice and Anchovies sambal.🙂

Recipe for coconut rice

Ingredients:

1 part of rice

1 ½ part of coconut milk

½ teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon oil

a slice of ginger, onion and garlic (add fragrance to rice)

Optional:

1 screwpine leave

1 lemongrass

1.  Rinse and soak rice in water for 10 mins.

2.  Drain rice and add coconut milk, salt, oil, ginger, garlic, onion and optional items.

3. Cook in the rice cooker.

ANCHOVIES SAMBAL  (Sambal Ikan Bilis)

Ingredients :

A

6 pcs dry chili (boiled and seedless)

4 cloves garlic

1 onion

1/4 glass water

B

50gms anchovies

1/2 cup oil

1 big onion - sliced

Small piece shrimp paste (Belacan)

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon sugar

4 tablespoon tamarind juice

1/4 glass water

Optional: A pinch of Ajinomoto

Method

1. Blend all ingredients A into a smooth paste

2. Heat oil in a pan and fry anchovies till crispy. Remove cooked anchovies into a plate.

3. Add onion  to oil and cook till golden brown followed shrimp paste, blended paste, salt, sugar, tamarind juice & water.

4. Finally add the fried anchovies and cook till sauce thickens.

https://youtu.be/8lnjRENAUtA

Please feel free to ask me any question related to my topic and food. 🙏

NL.JPG