• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ptw1953

Acquiring or making Black Cocoa Butter

I am wishing to purchase some black cocao butter, but it is scarcer than hobby-horse sh*te here in the UK. I do have some cocao butter, and some black fat-soluble powder. Tips and tricks for the making of black cocao butter at home would be most welcome...

ptw1953

9 hours ago, ptw1953 said:

I am wishing to purchase some black cocao butter, but it is scarcer than hobby-horse sh*te here in the UK. I do have some cocao butter, and some black fat-soluble powder. Tips and tricks for the making of black cocao butter at home would be most welcome...

ptw1953

I am from the U.K and get mine from Keylink . I  have some coming tomorrow 

I am also based in the UK and although I have purchased the ready to go bottles of IBC black cocoa butter from Keylink, I now tend to purchase these from PCB Creation in France, as I find it is easier to work with and produces superior results when airbrushed. I assume the ratio of cocoa butter to colourant is different between the two brands which explains the differences I have experienced - https://www.pcb-creation.com/produit/1-beurre-de-cacao-colore-noir-200-g/

PCB Creation also have a natural black available for an extra 4EUR if you need/want that option - https://www.pcb-creation.com/produit/1-beurre-de-cacao-colore-noir-naturel-200-g/

I have only tried mixing my own colours a few times and found it too time consuming a process for my operation. I think the main thing is to make sure you emulsify the mixture together using a stick blender, otherwise the colour will not be equally dispersed within the cocoa butter. This un-emulsified colouring may end up blocking an airbrush and cause unfavourable decorative effects when applied.

Good luck with your efforts!

Matthew

I'm curious why you found it time consuming? I make enough (normally 250ml) and it takes less than 5 minutes. For black I do a 5% and a 10% colorant to cocoa butter. Microwave. Stick blend. Strain through panty hose with a gloved hand. Voila!

54 minutes ago, gfron1 said:

I'm curious why you found it time consuming? I make enough (normally 250ml) and it takes less than 5 minutes. For black I do a 5% and a 10% colorant to cocoa butter. Microwave. Stick blend. Strain through panty hose with a gloved hand. Voila!

Haha, if I was to revisit making my own it'd be so much faster now. Back then I purchased a 5kg tube of solid cocoa butter from Callebaut (not callets) and didn't have a straightforward way of melting it, so had to chip bits off, which took time. Then I didn't have a stick blender so my unemulsified mixtures wouldnt spray. Basically a catalogue of errors, or shall we call it opportunities for learning :) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Similar Content

• By Audrey Brown
      I want to make sugar-free bars with Callebaut cocoa liquor and Erythratol.  Any advice on ratios?  Should I make it in my melanger or would just melting, adding and tempering work? I made the mistake of buying Callebaut sugar-free with Maltitol and it is definitely a laxative.  Now still stuck with a lot of it.  Any advice is most appreciated.
    • By markg109
      Hi All,
      I am an artist ( oil and pastels) by trade so the coloring of artisan chocolates really appeals to me. I was wondering if I could make my own colored cocoa butter using oil candy colors and cocoa butter, or is there more involved.
      Also, if I add the oil candy color to white chocolate will it affect the temper?
      Thanks,
      Mark
    • By eglies
      Hi there, I’m looking for some interesting flavours for truffles. Any combination of filling and coating ideas? For lemon, dark ganache, orange and caramel example. 
      I also realised that when deciding to use ready made truffle shells filling needs to have a creamy texture. Any advice on this? 
    • By CharTruff
      Hello! 

I am doing some spring cleaning and am selling some of my used polycarbonate molds. I've attached pictures and dimensions below.  The mold prices do not include shipping fee. I will ship these via USPS priority mail. 

For estimation purposes only, 4 - 5 molds can fit in a medium box and it costs $15.05 to ship. Please let me know if you have any questions.  

Thank you. 
      Charlotte W. 

• By eglies
      Hello everyone!

I was wondering if anyone could help me out with these design attached?

I manage to make it on the table somehow and then when trying it into the mould it just doesnt work  

Any tips on this ?

Thank you!!