• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Pans for Caramel

spennie

I have made a LOT of caramel over the years and 
I use copper kettle(s) when I’m making larger quantities of caramel (I’m out of town, but will post a picture when I get home)

for smaller batches, I use a Presto Electric Kitchen Pot.  (If you go to some of the workshop posts you can see it being used by myself and others)

4AF931DE-4B7E-456B-98E3-7B06FBED0096.thumb.jpeg.2cf770922b83a0e1f1ba810dbbb6b3a8.jpeg

Edited by RobertM (log)
  • Like 2

Of course, copper is considered the best, so if money is no object, what about getting a larger copper pot/kettle?

I bought an All-Clad 6-qt. pot and have been very pleased with it. It is from their "Copper-Core" line and has a layer of copper (among other metals). They have various sizes and shapes.

If I am not mistaken, @RobertM used to make caramel for a living (before he became rich and now just lies in the sun all day), so he knows what he is talking about.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spennie said:

https://www.mauvielusa.com/M-passion-Copper-Sugar-Saucepan-plu2194.html . 

Im looking at the 3.7 quartz at the moment but think we could out grow it quickly 

That's tiny.  Since caramel needs so much room to expand and foam as it cooks, that seems impractical for all but the smallest batch.

I recommend a stainless steel stock pot with a heavy bottom, this 12 quart will hold at least 2 kg of caramel.

https://www.wayfair.com/kitchen-tabletop/pdp/cuisinart-stock-pot-with-lid-cui2499.html?piid=13675208

I make half batches in a five or six-quart pan; it can handle a full batch but it's too close to boil over. That makes about 100 caramels of the size I posted in the daily sweets thread today (I made caramels today, appropriately enough). Honestly, if you're keeping up on stirring I find any heavy-bottomed pot to be suitable.

Edited by jimb0 (log)
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

That's tiny.  Since caramel needs so much room to expand and foam as it cooks, that seems impractical for all but the smallest batch.

I recommend a stainless steel stock pot with a heavy bottom, this 12 quart will hold at least 2 kg of caramel.

https://www.wayfair.com/kitchen-tabletop/pdp/cuisinart-stock-pot-with-lid-cui2499.html?piid=13675208

Thank you for getting back cant seem to open that link 

21 hours ago, RobertM said:

I have made a LOT of caramel over the years and 
I use copper kettle(s) when I’m making larger quantities of caramel (I’m out of town, but will post a picture when I get home)

for smaller batches, I use a Presto Electric Kitchen Pot.  (If you go to some of the workshop posts you can see it being used by myself and others)

4AF931DE-4B7E-456B-98E3-7B06FBED0096.thumb.jpeg.2cf770922b83a0e1f1ba810dbbb6b3a8.jpeg

Yes please Robert i would love to see 

59 minutes ago, spennie said:

Thank you for getting back cant seem to open that link 

just a 12 quart cuisinart stock pot. I also have a 16 quart that I use on my stock burner, the larger ring of flames helps sugar cook evenly.  

23 minutes ago, GRiker said:

I do stir constantly.

In my experience, this is the key. I think copper pots for something like caramel is an unnecessary expense. As long as the heating is pretty even you're good.

• Like 1

Here is my small copper kettle I use .....I have three others of varying size.....

while some of you may disagree, the copper pots are amazing for caramels.

but, don’t laugh, the electric kettle I posted does an amazing job and it’s very cost effective....

DFC0D147-46E1-4E5F-B78F-68B40427571E.thumb.jpeg.1b996cd16d16e03c825db73d9667c561.jpeg9B09C692-02F8-411F-B845-662D60EDDAEE.thumb.jpeg.f401e3668f4937d1f97a145f4abe5317.jpeg

• Like 1

Bob and I had the same idea today😀. I have used serious copper pots for years, but I can’t lift them anymore. The electric pot works wonders. I made a 2000 gram batch this morning. I put in ingredients, stirred and left it to wash dishes. 30 minutes later, it was the color I wanted. I just needed to add butter, salt and finally vanilla. No stirring or sticking. Pot is easy to clean. A few things to remember. This pot is great for Maillard caramels, not burnt sugar ones. There are several different sizes of pots. Get the largest one.  Sorry photos are out of order. 

6AEDAA45-3B8D-49D2-984A-E4ECEED8905F.jpeg

7270ED7B-8212-4D0D-BB5F-EFF3217D5390.jpeg

CB035895-95E6-4051-9DC8-6AE952433231.jpeg

Edited by Chocolot (log)
  • Like 1

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

@RobertM @Chocolot 

What size is your Presto kettle? I see 5,6 and 10 quart. 

I read that Chocolot doesn’t stir after the initial stirring.  Robert, do you stir yours while cooking? 

if you’re not stirring, it seems one could just set in a probe thermometer then set it when it gets close to temp, make sure it doesn’t go over. 

I watch over it and stir it occasionally.   I’ve had batches where the condensed milk has burned.....
as Chocolot said, the pot is super easy to use and clean and does work best for Maillard caramels.  
I use the small 5 quart kettle but have seen the larger ones used as well to great success.  In fact, I think I’ve gone through several of them.....I hate to think back and count.....but, they last a long time.....

A long time ago, in a land far away.....

I took a class from two men, one a PhD from Cadbury and the other a PhD from Brachs and they introduced me to the kettle.   
I like the idea of the temperature range on the unit; it’s a great size for a small batch (or a lab size); the cleanup is super easy with the Teflon; can have several batches going at once; and I can use the kettle for other confections.

Years later, at one of our Workshops, we were graced by Mark Heim PhD, the head chemist from Hershey’s and in one of his demo’s he used the kettle....

so, if three PhD’s, from three different companies feel the kettle is a good tool.....who am I to disagree?

• Like 2

@RobertM, certainly sounds like many years of experience not to disagree!  

Anyone else using the caramel molds like chocolot is using?   They look super handy.  I'm kind of obsessive about getting my caramels all the same size.  A chef knife and a ruler don't give the accuracy I'm looking for.  I've thought about a caramel cutter, but the silicone caramel square molds seem easier than using a caramel cutter.

I saw several very inexpensive brands on amazon.  I usually subscribe to the "you get what you pay for" so usually don't go for the lowest priced option.

I found the following brands that look quality when I did some looking (edited to show price with and without shipping.)

• O'Creme runs about $0.50 per cavity (free shipping with Prime)
  • Chef Rubber runs about $1.15 per cavity ($1.00/ cavity without shipping)
  • Truffly Made runs about $1.40 per cavity ($1.30/ cavity without shipping)
  • JB Prince runs about $1.50 per cavity ($1.30/ cavity without shipping)

Does anyone have real experience using these (or other brands)?  Any issues with release?  Any thing that surprised you with how they work?

Edited by GRiker (log)

43 minutes ago, GRiker said:

Anyone else using the caramel molds like chocolot is using?   They look super handy.  I'm kind of obsessive about getting my caramels all the same size.  A chef knife and a ruler don't give the accuracy I'm looking for.  I've thought about a caramel cutter, but the silicone caramel square molds seem easier than using a caramel cutter.

They seems relatively 

I saw several very inexpensive brands on amazon.  I usually subscribe to the "you get what you pay for" so usually don't go for the lowest priced option.

I found the following brands that look quality when I did some looking.

• O'Creme runs about $0.50 per cavity
  • Chef Rubber runs about $1.15 per cavity
  • Truffly Made runs about $1.40 per cavity
  • JB Prince runs about $1.50 per cavity

Does anyone have real experience using these (or other brands)?  Any issues with release?  Any thing that surprised you with how they work?

Chef Rubber has lowered the price from when I purchased. They are now $88. I used to cut with roller knives. I saw the molds at JinJu in Las Vegas. She had full sheet pan sized ones, not the quarter sheet size I have.

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

10 hours ago, GRiker said:

They seems relatively 

I found the following brands that look quality when I did some looking.

• O'Creme runs about $0.50 per cavity
  • Chef Rubber runs about $1.15 per cavity
  • Truffly Made runs about $1.40 per cavity
  • JB Prince runs about $1.50 per cavity

I purchased an O'Creme mold with 56 cavities, mainly because it produced the size I wanted, and at that particular time Chef Rubber did not have the size. I was with Ruth when she saw molds in use at JinJu in Las Vegas and, like her, was struck with what a clever idea the mold is. Jin's assistants were releasing caramels from the molds at an impressive rate of speed. They work without a hitch. I don't use mine very often because I haven't yet mastered getting the viscosity of cut and dipped caramels to something that will turn out consistently--it's often too firm to eat comfortably or too soft to hold a shape for dipping.

I ended up buying the O'Creme mold.  Mostly because I could give it a try with minimal cost investment.  I'll report here how it goes. 

I just made caramels Monday and try as I might, I can't get them as uniform as I'd like.  I guess I don't quite have the patience required.  Then, I went searching for these molds.

image0(1).thumb.jpeg.5f8d8a663bd36dbd72abc91b5f4f9564.jpeg

It is interesting the different styles of the molds, with some having a very thin separator between cavities, and others having a lot more space.