• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dalgona coffee

Duvel

I abstain from most social media, so I was a bit overwhelmed when recently my friends in Hong Kong and Japan were simultaneously getting enthusiastic about Dalgona coffee, which seems to be huge on Instagram.

Seems it is a rather usual beverage is Macau (where nonetheless I never encountered it) and was popularized in South Korea by an famous actor, who had the drink there.

Basically you whip (heavily) a mixture of sugar, instant coffee powder and hot water until thick and creamy and top a glass of cold milk with it.

I tried it today (to at least be able to join the conversation again with my friends); even whipped the coffee mixture by hand as it is supposedly a soothing experience (maybe to millennials, who usually don’t cook). The resulting “cream” was too sweet for me on its own, but sipping the cold milk with little bits of the coffee mixture is quite pleasant. It has a kind of caramel candy taste to it, but refreshing due to the large proportion of milk accompanying it.

5552242B-83D0-4CFF-BFAA-E84A3B3DF003.thumb.jpeg.962fbb7bd1ab920d8fe345a85b528e37.jpeg

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 4

Who knew?  Certainly not me!  But I am nothing if not suggestible so... 

IMG_2488.thumb.jpeg.ab9b5b49d39dafa6cb7c879f1d5145a7.jpeg

I used the recipe in the NYTimes:  2T instant coffee, 2T hot water, 1.5 tsp sugar.  I used piloncillo.  At this ratio, I didn't find it atrociously sweet. Some of the recipes called for 2T sugar.  That would probably hurt my teeth. 

Kind of a fun idea to play with.  I'd like to try topping a mug of barely sweet hot chocolate with a dollop of this stuff for a mocha version. 

Edited to add that I used the whisk attachment to my stick blender instead of doing it by hand.

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 3

Here in Kansas City where everything is up to date, this has been all the rage, though it has moved into the cocktail phase. Topping Bailey's Irish Cream, vodka or whiskey with it. I have not yet tried it, but did buy instant coffee for this purpose. By the time I feel like I'm ready for something like that, I don't want caffeine. Maybe I should have gotten decaf instant coffee.

• Like 1

Deb

Liberty, MO

23 minutes ago, Maison Rustique said:

Maybe I should have gotten decaf instant coffee

Yeah, that might be a good idea.  I'm pretty sensitive to caffeine and I can tell you from my experience yesterday that 2T of instant coffee can pack a wallop! 

• Like 1