• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

F .BLUMLEIN Steam Convection Oven

• 1 month later...

I finally got a chance to bake real bread in the FBO yesterday -- I didn't exactly trust it and didn't want to set off the smoke alarms, so I actually wheeled it out to the balcony. Everything went fine, however. I put in a Fibrament baking stone (I just bought the smallest one and cut it to size) and preheated it at 450°F convection mode for an hour before baking. Then I switched to combi mode, baked for ten minutes, then switched back to convection. It probably took 35 minutes or so to full bake this 500g French Lean batard. The crust ended up nicely crisp, though a bit lighter than I prefer, and the baking of the first loaf was a tad uneven, so for the second I rotated it at about the 20 minute mark.

20201001-DSC_6523.jpg

20201001-DSC_6513.jpg

• Like 11

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

23 minutes ago, Chris Hennes said:

I finally got a chance to bake real bread in the FBO yesterday -- I didn't exactly trust it and didn't want to set off the smoke alarms, so I actually wheeled it out to the balcony. Everything went fine, however. I put in a Fibrament baking stone (I just bought the smallest one and cut it to size) and preheated it at 450°F convection mode for an hour before baking. Then I switched to combi mode, baked for ten minutes, then switched back to convection. It probably took 35 minutes or so to full bake this 500g French Lean batard. The crust ended up nicely crisp, though a bit lighter than I prefer, and the baking of the first loaf was a tad uneven, so for the second I rotated it at about the 20 minute mark.

20201001-DSC_6523.jpg

20201001-DSC_6513.jpg

Is that the bread in your jam picture?

44 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Is that the bread in your jam picture?

Yep - I'm working on a video about that jam, so yesterday I suckered all my colleagues into trying it by bribing them with fresh-baked bread :)

• Haha 3

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

6 hours ago, Chris Hennes said:

20201001-DSC_6523.jpg

20201001-DSC_6513.jpg

Were you happy with the bottom of the loaf?

13 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Were you happy with the bottom of the loaf?

Yes - it was clearly baked at a lower temperature than I normally use (same problem as the rest of the loaf -- 450°F is just a little low, I normally bake at 470°F), but otherwise it wasn't that different from my full size oven, with the exception of having the steam available.

• Like 3

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org