• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

F .BLUMLEIN Steam Convection Oven

md8232

• 1 month later...

I finally got a chance to bake real bread in the FBO yesterday -- I didn't exactly trust it and didn't want to set off the smoke alarms, so I actually wheeled it out to the balcony. Everything went fine, however. I put in a Fibrament baking stone (I just bought the smallest one and cut it to size) and preheated it at 450°F convection mode for an hour before baking. Then I switched to combi mode, baked for ten minutes, then switched back to convection. It probably took 35 minutes or so to full bake this 500g French Lean batard. The crust ended up nicely crisp, though a bit lighter than I prefer, and the baking of the first loaf was a tad uneven, so for the second I rotated it at about the 20 minute mark.

20201001-DSC_6523.jpg

20201001-DSC_6513.jpg

• Like 12

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

23 minutes ago, Chris Hennes said:

I finally got a chance to bake real bread in the FBO yesterday -- I didn't exactly trust it and didn't want to set off the smoke alarms, so I actually wheeled it out to the balcony. Everything went fine, however. I put in a Fibrament baking stone (I just bought the smallest one and cut it to size) and preheated it at 450°F convection mode for an hour before baking. Then I switched to combi mode, baked for ten minutes, then switched back to convection. It probably took 35 minutes or so to full bake this 500g French Lean batard. The crust ended up nicely crisp, though a bit lighter than I prefer, and the baking of the first loaf was a tad uneven, so for the second I rotated it at about the 20 minute mark.

20201001-DSC_6523.jpg

20201001-DSC_6513.jpg

Is that the bread in your jam picture?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

6 hours ago, Chris Hennes said:

20201001-DSC_6523.jpg

20201001-DSC_6513.jpg

Were you happy with the bottom of the loaf?

13 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Were you happy with the bottom of the loaf?

Yes - it was clearly baked at a lower temperature than I normally use (same problem as the rest of the loaf -- 450°F is just a little low, I normally bake at 470°F), but otherwise it wasn't that different from my full size oven, with the exception of having the steam available.

• Like 3

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

• 4 months later...

AACCK!  After looking at this oven on Amazon as well as the ANOVA Oven, I put the FBSO in my cart and moved along.  Later I went back to Amazon and ordered another item from my cart.  Well I accidentally ordered the FBSO!

I didn't discover my mistake until this morning when I checked on my order and saw that I have a new oven coming my way.  I was unable to cancel it.

I can, of course, reject the shipment when it arrives but I've been intrigued for a long time with the idea of baking my breads with steam; the only thing holding me back was the toast factor.  So I will be spending some time experimenting with this big guy.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

29 minutes ago, lindag said:

AACCK!  After looking at this oven on Amazon as well as the ANOVA Oven, I put the FBSO in my cart and moved along.  Later I went back to Amazon and ordered another item from my cart.  Well I accidentally ordered the FBSO!

I didn't discover my mistake until this morning when I checked on my order and saw that I have a new oven coming my way.  I was unable to cancel it.

I can, of course, reject the shipment when it arrives but I've been intrigued for a long time with the idea of baking my breads with steam; the only thing holding me back was the toast factor.  So I will be spending some time experimenting with this big guy.

That's when you know you're meant to have the FBSO!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, md8232 said:

They have a new smaller less expensive oven now.

Smaller Oven

For those who are interested, when I clicked through I got a popup offering a discount coupon. I'm not in the market for one but if that's a difference-maker for anybody, consider yourself enabled. You're welcome.

• Haha 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Actually, now that I have measured my space, I will have to refuse the delivery (if I can manage to catch the UPS guy when he drops it off.

I have a m/w mounted inside a cabinet opening and the Blumlein would need to fit underneath that but there's not quite enough height for it.  I'm no interested in the smaller model because I need all the interior height for my loaves.

Someday a model will come along that's just right for my needs.

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

okay!  My FBCSO arrived ahead of schedule on Monday.

I managed, on my own, to get the box open and remove the detritus and get into the second internal box.    That's as far a I could get.  This baby's heavvy!

Tomorrow my canasta playing friends are coming so I will have help lifting the behemoth out of its box and setting it up on the countertop.

I can't wait to bake my first loaf of bread!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, lindag said:

okay!  My FBCSO arrived ahead of schedule on Monday.

I managed, on my own, to get the box open and remove the detritus and get into the second internal box.    That's as far a I could get.  This baby's heavvy!

Tomorrow my canasta playing friends are coming so I will have help lifting the behemoth out of its box and setting it up on the countertop.

I can't wait to bake my first loaf of bread!

A universal tip for getting heavy stuff out of boxes:

1) Open top
2) Fold flaps down the side

3) Flip box over

4) Lift box from product, rather than the other way around

That way you're lifting the light stuff (cardboard and foam), and gravity is your friend. Doing it the conventional way means you're doing the heavy work, and gravity is decidedly *not* your friend.

ETA: Waiting for helping hands with the final lift-into-place remains a wonderfully sound idea, of course...

Edited by chromedome (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

19 minutes ago, chromedome said:

A universal tip for getting heavy stuff out of boxes:

1) Open top
2) Fold flaps down the side

3) Flip box over

4) Lift box from product, rather than the other way around

That way you're lifting the light stuff (cardboard and foam), and gravity is your friend. Doing it the conventional way means you're doing the heavy work, and gravity is decidedly *not* your friend.

ETA: Waiting for helping hands with the final lift-into-place remains a wonderfully sound idea, of course...

I opened mine that way. A lot easier to maneuver the inner box. 

• Like 2

How can you govern a country which has 246 varieties of cheese?

Charles De Gaulle, in "Les Mots du General", 1962

On 3/13/2021 at 9:09 AM, lindag said:

Baked my first loaves of Paul Hollywood's ciabatta bread yesterday.  (Pix will have to wait as my cleaning woman just arrived at my door).

Not bad.  I don't yet have baking steel since I can't find one small enough (12x14") to fit.  I may just have to buy a small pizza stone instead.

The bread was very good....certainly not of Paul's standards but good enough fore a first try.  I served it with Ina Garten's recipe of Roasted Tomato Basil Soup which is just wonderful.

Just now, lindag said:

Baked my first loaves of Paul Hollywood's ciabatta bread yesterday.  (Pix will have to wait as my cleaning woman just arrived at my door).

Not bad.  I don't yet have baking steel since I can't find one small enough (12x14") to fit.  I may just have to buy a small pizza stone instead.

The bread was very good....certainly not of Paul's standards but good enough fore a first try.  I served it with Ina Garten's recipe of Roasted Tomato Basil Soup which is just wonderful.

The new oven has a major learning curves for me.  If I were 20+ years younger it would probably be a snap.

20 minutes ago, lindag said:

Baking Steel Griddle

While not perfectly sized, this would fit.  I just tested mine and the fit is perfect front to back.

You'd have about 1.75" space on either side.

I've just emailed the Baking Steel folks to ask for one properly sized.  I'll let you know what

they reply.

Edited by md8232
Added Info (log)

1 hour ago, md8232 said:

Baking Steel Griddle

While not perfectly sized, this would fit.  I just tested mine and the fit is perfect front to back.

You'd have about 1.75" space on either side.

I've just emailed the Baking Steel folks to ask for one properly sized.  I'll let you know what

they reply.

I rarely make pizza so it's actually for my breads.  Do I really need this?

4 hours ago, lindag said:

I rarely make pizza so it's actually for my breads.  Do I really need this?

You said that you didn’t have a baking steel.  This could work.  Only you can

answer whether you need it.

37 minutes ago, md8232 said:

You said that you didn’t have a baking steel.  This could work.  Only you can

answer whether you need it.

I’m just wondering how useful it really is just for bread. As opposed to Simply using a stone.

3 hours ago, lindag said:

I’m just wondering how useful it really is just for bread. As opposed to Simply using a stone.

I go with the baking steel, but for a steam oven I'd recommend stainless steel rather than carbon steel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I heard back from the Baking Steel folks. 

We can do custom work, not cheap.
Be $200 for that size.”

Guess I will use what I have. 
  • Like 1

On 3/18/2021 at 5:37 PM, md8232 said:

I heard back from the Baking Steel folks. 

We can do custom work, not cheap.
Be $200 for that size.”

Guess I will use what I have. 

you might check in with your local metal fab folks