Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

md8232

F .BLUMLEIN Steam Convection Oven

Recommended Posts

Everything turned out well in this first attempt at using the oven. It's a great size for baking a single 9x5 loaf of bread, there is plenty of room for air to circulate. I find the user interface a bit daunting, but at this price point you can hardly expect physical buttons for all of the features this machine has, so I think the tradeoff is worthwhile. I did get a fair amount of water buildup in the base of the oven during the proofing stage, but that didn't seem to negatively affect the baking -- even without mopping it up the coconut browned with no issues when baking. I did let the oven run at full temperature for a half hour before baking -- the built-in preheat mode seems strange to me, I don't understand the temperature limitation. Finally, although it will affect basically no one except me, I wish the light stayed on instead of turning off after 30 seconds. Taking time-lapses of things baking or rising is going to require a separate robot to keep pushing the light button. It's a sort of hilarious robot to build, but it does mean some extra work.

  • Like 7

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Chris Hennes 

 

nice review .  thank you.

 

Im glad you have this item as you bake a lot.

 

""  I did get a fair amount of water buildup in the base of the oven during the proofing stage, ""

 

does the FBSO  not have a drip hole , w a collector below ?

 

AKA  : CSO , but bigger ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Chris Hennes said:

Everything turned out well in this first attempt at using the oven. It's a great size for baking a single 9x5 loaf of bread, there is plenty of room for air to circulate. I find the user interface a bit daunting, but at this price point you can hardly expect physical buttons for all of the features this machine has, so I think the tradeoff is worthwhile. I did get a fair amount of water buildup in the base of the oven during the proofing stage, but that didn't seem to negatively affect the baking -- even without mopping it up the coconut browned with no issues when baking. I did let the oven run at full temperature for a half hour before baking -- the built-in preheat mode seems strange to me, I don't understand the temperature limitation. Finally, although it will affect basically no one except me, I wish the light stayed on instead of turning off after 30 seconds. Taking time-lapses of things baking or rising is going to require a separate robot to keep pushing the light button. It's a sort of hilarious robot to build, but it does mean some extra work.

LOL - I'm picturing the light pushing robot. It is annoying though that you can't just turn on and off the light.

 

And there is nothing intuitive about the controls - they are quite frustrating and you have to pull out the book every time you want want figure out which two buttons to push to check the temperature or to preheat on bake vs preheat on stream. I keep going over and whacking the power button instead of the >II button and turning the damn thing off when I'm trying to program. 

 


Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Chris Hennes said:

Finally, although it will affect basically no one except me, I wish the light stayed on instead of turning off after 30 seconds. Taking time-lapses of things baking or rising is going to require a separate robot to keep pushing the light button. It's a sort of hilarious robot to build, but it does mean some extra work.

 

King-Size_Homer.png

 

latest?cb=20140812100943

 

tenor.gif?itemid=8025433

 

 

 

Teo

 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

Teo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, teonzo said:

 

tenor.gif?itemid=8025433

 

I actually have a drinky bird on order from Amazon for this purpose :)

  • Like 4
  • Haha 5

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Has anyone tried baking cake in theirs yet? I see the Blumlein cookbook suggests using combi mode for their cake recipe and I'm wondering about the advantages of this versus just normal bake mode. I'm not making their cake recipe, but the one I'm using isn't that far off from it.

 

ETA: Is it just me, or does the cake photo in the Blumlein cookbook look suspiciously exactly like the Sweet Potato Chocolate Cake from Lazy Cat Kitchen...


Edited by Chris Hennes (log)
  • Haha 1

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Chris Hennes said:

Has anyone tried baking cake in theirs yet? I see the Blumlein cookbook suggests using combi mode for their cake recipe and I'm wondering about the advantages of this versus just normal bake mode. I'm not making their cake recipe, but the one I'm using isn't that far off from it.

 

ETA: Is it just me, or does the cake photo in the Blumlein cookbook look suspiciously exactly like the Sweet Potato Chocolate Cake from Lazy Cat Kitchen...

 

Nope - totally different - the mirror makes it so! That's kinda tacky - wonder if they got permission?


Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Sent an email suggesting they learn more about copyright and make some changes to their cookbook.

Well, in their defense it is possible that they got permission to use those images. I only thought to look because who the hell bakes cake in a loaf pan?! Their recipe doesn't state a pan size at all. 


Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Chris Hennes said:

Well, in their defense it is possible that they got permission to use those images. I only thought to look because who the hell bakes cake in a loaf pan?! Their recipe doesn't state a pan size at all. 

Yeah - perhaps - but not seeing any attribution anywhere. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I think there's one less kitchen item on my wish list.

 

 

You didn't!!!?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Yeah - perhaps - but not seeing any attribution anywhere. 

But again, if they negotiated directly with the copyright holders, they could have acquired the right to publish without attribution. I wouldn't hold my breath on the likelihood, but innocent until proven guilty.


Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, it won't do toast, so I'm safe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@TdeV 

 

I bet it might 

 

just a bit petit for the roast

 

I can imagine any commercial , 1 - 3 star restaurant

 

using anything other than a combi-oven these days

 

or days for quite some time in the past

 

that's not to say they sent finish that True Prime rib Roast

 

for the last 10 ++ minutes , at high dry heat

 

then of course , it needs to rest for some time et.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, TdeV said:

Well, it won't do toast, so I'm safe.

Perhaps you can help me out.  I've noted, with some surprise/curiosity, that several people (across various threads here) are very, very into using these ovens for TOAST. No disrespect, but why would someone spend hundreds of dollars for toast (as in a "toaster oven") when there are perfectly good toasters for a few dollars? (If we spend more that $3.99 for a toaster at the thrift store I'm feeling extravagant!) When I first started looking for a new combi countertop oven I was initially put off by seeing them listed as "toaster oven" -- I want to bake, not toast -- but now I'm scratching my head: people *do* actually appear to get these (just) to make a piece of toast -- and to be quite into the whole experience/result. What am I missing? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...