• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

F .BLUMLEIN Steam Convection Oven

md8232

20 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

The stainless steel piece I use in the CSO is 10x10x1/2 inch.  Would that be too small?  The same stuff is available as 12x12x1/2 inch.  It is high molybdenum 316 steel.

Too small for two loaves side by side. I want to be able to do that.

11 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Too small for two loaves side by side. I want to be able to do that.

Then use two pieces of steel!

Or get two ovens.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

45 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

What's wrong with using aluminum in the CSO?

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/145727-substitute-for-mcs-12-thick-pizza-steel/?do=findComment&comment=2169750

• Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 4 weeks later...

@Kerry Beal, wondering if you have had much time to play with this oven yet and if you have an overall opinion about it. Would you recommend it? 

PS - I know you are busy with a gazillion things, so not expecting anything, just wondering!  😃

2 hours ago, FauxPas said:

@Kerry Beal, wondering if you have had much time to play with this oven yet and if you have an overall opinion about it. Would you recommend it? 

PS - I know you are busy with a gazillion things, so not expecting anything, just wondering!  😃

My biggest problem is that I'm not getting notification of the topics I've posted on so didn't see this until now.

Still can't make decent toast in it!

Did a chicken the other day - as good as the first one - have another in the fridge. This one I'll do in a shallower pan so that it get's better air circulation so the bottom of the legs and wings gets crispier.

I think I've just about sorted the bread  - have the stone on the upside down rack on the bottom rungs so it's a little higher - I preheat on bake at 450º F for as long as it takes - then turn on the grill at 450º until the stone is over 200º C. Then combi 410º F for 30 minutes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I guess the issue is more that I'm not prepared to do the experiments to determine time and temperature and what program for the toast - cause hubby will not jump through those hoops. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am eagerly awaiting you all getting this dialed in: I think I'm going to buy one for our kitchen at work, to use for basic baking stuff (not making toast), but I can't really spend the time here to figure out what the magic settings are. It sounds like @Kerry Beal is pretty close on getting bread to work, anyway.

• Like 1

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

IMG_1627.thumb.JPG.45a70c8137faffabd51cde4eea4690cb.JPG

So rack on bottom sliders but upside down - means that the stone sits around half an inch above the rack.

IMG_1625.thumb.JPG.df8c55f4a446599cbec58423425ae366.JPG

Preheated bake 450º F for about 30 minutes - then grill 450º F for about 20 minutes - then combi 410º F for 30 min and put the dough in on parchment. Turned about half way through.  

IMG_1628.thumb.JPG.cf03b76d87982aee59e06e68136f1f60.JPG

IMG_1629.thumb.JPG.1dd179e58419e9af17c546aafc686ef4.JPG

Got a decently browned bottom. 

IMG_1644.thumb.JPG.fc712788ea6678cd3028ecc8d6c793a0.JPG

Chicken was 420º F for 70 minutes. Used the non perforated pan that comes with the oven - small rack to hold the chicken off the bottom. One very tender juicy chicken with lovely skin. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

I was eyeing one of these for my new kitchen, however, if it can't make good toast I think it's a deal breaker for me.  I'd just keep my CSO and continue bread baking in my big oven.

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm interested in a steam oven for bread baking (like several here have been discussing). Our countertop space is limited and I'd like to use the oven on top of our refrigerator. Yes, I understand that it is VERY heavy but once it's up there, would it be practical to use it that way? The top of our fridge is at 65".

6 hours ago, Keri AH said:

I'm interested in a steam oven for bread baking (like several here have been discussing). Our countertop space is limited and I'd like to use the oven on top of our refrigerator. Yes, I understand that it is VERY heavy but once it's up there, would it be practical to use it that way? The top of our fridge is at 65".

Be a bitch to get the door open I'd think

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Keri AH said:

Also, how high is your ceiling?

11 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Be a bitch to get the door open I'd think

Getting on a stool to retrieve a dish of hot stuff sounds like a scald in the making.

For that matter, a steam oven with a face-high door is a potential scald too.

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, gfweb said:

Getting on a stool to retrieve a dish of hot stuff sounds like a scald in the making.

For that matter, a steam oven with a face-high door is a potential scald too.

<sigh> All the replies I've received do make sense. I'll need to give some thought to other alternatives, since I'm only looking for the 'steam' functionality (which likely means this model is overkill). E.g., a lighter oven could be stored above the fridge but moved to the counter for use. I would consider the CSO-300 (reading those threads) since it's only around 23 lbs. and has the steam function, but I see it's now discontinued. Are there other threads on countertop steam ovens that I could be following?

2 hours ago, Keri AH said:

Are there other threads on countertop steam ovens that I could be following?

You could follow this thread on the Anova oven but who knows if it's going to be available. 

Edited to add that there's also a thread on the Tovala oven but it hasn't seen much activity of late.

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)

24 minutes ago, Chris Hennes said:

Aw yeah, look what showed up at my office this morning:

image.jpg

The stuff in your office reflected in the door looks pretty interesting too.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, gfweb said:

The stuff in your office reflected in the door looks pretty interesting too.

Since the library's meeting spaces are all closed to the public right now, I've converted our catering kitchen into a TV studio :). I'm currently making a video about Bryan Ford's "Choco Pan de Coco" from his new cookbook, New World Sourdough.

• Like 8

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org