• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

F .BLUMLEIN Steam Convection Oven

md8232

I reran the FB on H Steam at 210 for 39 minutes.  The interior was quite steamy and  the bottom of the oven was covered with water, however the tank used about the same amount of water as yesterday. Less than 1/2 tank. The drain tray has about 3 drops of water. 

9B7D8022-86C1-45EA-902F-CC5759815459.jpeg

838E3E3C-15E6-41A1-9F59-89AB92F6D5DE.jpeg

77A9A66B-2475-454A-BA1E-8B2138A2B651.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How can you govern a country which has 246 varieties of cheese?

Charles De Gaulle, in "Les Mots du General", 1962

210 F with steam.

Obviously the steam generator is at least 2 degrees hotter than 210. 

I wonder what's the real temp in the oven when its set to 210 with steam.

1 minute ago, gfweb said:

210 F with steam.

Obviously the steam generator is at least 2 degrees hotter than 210. 

I wonder what's the real temp in the oven when its set to 210 with steam.

Test to follow in time. 
You probably noticed the bottom of the oven is  getting dirty. I spent 5 minutes with some Bar Keepers Friend and all is well. 

F69C91F0-C60E-4ED2-A82F-72C15E92402B.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm surprised to see that there is no drain hole in the bottom.  When I steam things in the CSO (like a steamed fish) a ton of water winds up in the drain pan.  If you were to steam things in this oven, where does the condensed water go?

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, md8232 said:

Test to follow in time. 
You probably noticed the bottom of the oven is  getting dirty. I spent 5 minutes with some Bar Keepers Friend and all is well. 

F69C91F0-C60E-4ED2-A82F-72C15E92402B.jpeg

Nice.  I'm pretty sure I see one of these ovens in my future kitchen.

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, KennethT said:

I'm surprised to see that there is no drain hole in the bottom.  When I steam things in the CSO (like a steamed fish) a ton of water winds up in the drain pan.  If you were to steam things in this oven, where does the condensed water go?

It would likely be partially absorbed by the food you are steaming. When I run it with an empty chamber it pools on the bottom of the oven. 
I have found water in the drip tray, but don’t remember the circumstances. 

• Thanks 1

Kerry, I just placed the water tank loosely in and closed the door.  I don’t believe that closing the door will seat it properly.  When you place it in, push it forward and you should hear a “click” as it seats.  Maybe yours wasn’t sealed properly.

HTH 

Edited by md8232 (log)

7 hours ago, md8232 said:

I reran the FB on H Steam at 210 for 39 minutes.  The interior was quite steamy and  the bottom of the oven was covered with water, however the tank used about the same amount of water as yesterday. Less than 1/2 tank. The drain tray has about 3 drops of water. 

9B7D8022-86C1-45EA-902F-CC5759815459.jpeg

838E3E3C-15E6-41A1-9F59-89AB92F6D5DE.jpeg

77A9A66B-2475-454A-BA1E-8B2138A2B651.jpeg

Thanks for this - I messaged the company - they initially told me that I should return the oven - then I called them this afternoon and chatted with a delightful woman who was working from home and had an oven of her own. She was able to confirm that her oven had never had water in the drain tray except that had dropped off the door when it opened. So between your pics and her information I'm feeling much better about not trying to find a way to send this baby back across the border just to have them send me another that doesn't have water in the drip tray!

Tonight bread - I don't have a stone of the right size yet - so I'm still going too have to bake a loaf at a time. I'll contact the Pottery Supply House tomorrow and ask them to cut a 14 by 14  by 1/2 corderite shelf down to 14 by 11 or so. 

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

.....Tonight bread - I don't have a stone of the right size yet - so I'm still going too have to bake a loaf at a time. I'll contact the Pottery Supply House tomorrow and ask them to cut a 14 by 14  by 1/2 corderite shelf down to 14 by 11 or so. 

Does Corderite play nicely with steam?

48 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Thanks for this - I messaged the company - they initially told me that I should return the oven - then I called them this afternoon and chatted with a delightful woman who was working from home and had an oven of her own. She was able to confirm that her oven had never had water in the drain tray except that had dropped off the door when it opened. So between your pics and her information I'm feeling much better about not trying to find a way to send this baby back across the border just to have them send me another that doesn't have water in the drip tray!

Tonight bread - I don't have a stone of the right size yet - so I'm still going too have to bake a loaf at a time. I'll contact the Pottery Supply House tomorrow and ask them to cut a 14 by 14  by 1/2 corderite shelf down to 14 by 11 or so. 

Consider stainless steel.  Stainless steel is what I use for bread in my CSO.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

36 minutes ago, md8232 said:

Does Corderite play nicely with steam?

It's just a kiln shelf - the perfect stone I find. I preheat it and don't find steam causes any problem with it.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

20 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Consider stainless steel.  Stainless steel is what I use for bread in my CSO.

I think the stainless pieces I have are even bigger. 

2 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

So between your pics and her information I'm feeling much better about not trying to find a way to send this baby back across the border just to have them send me another that doesn't have water in the drip tray!

@Kerry Beal, were you able to get them to send you the oven in Canada? Just wondering if that is a possibility in the future. Not that I need another steam oven, I still have a CSO in the box. But still. Just in case. 😄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

@Kerry Beal, were you able to get them to send you the oven in Canada? Just wondering if that is a possibility in the future. Not that I need another steam oven, I still have a CSO in the box. But still. Just in case. 😄

Nope - had it sent to a friend close to the border - then couriered it across from there. Still awaiting the final accounting.

• Thanks 2

IMG_1521.thumb.JPG.9bf3113fd17d99c7cf1f6862f0c2fe9c.JPG

IMG_1523.thumb.JPG.552801f34b4c24e792bba18330c0fde5.JPG

Loaf one - combo 430º F  lowest rack - minimal grill preheat - too dark and bottom not browned - had to flip it over and grill the bottom for 10 min or so. Loaf 2 - preheat baking for 10 min or so at 430º F - then combi 410º F for 30 min - bottom nice and brown. There is my 9 by 9 tile I use in the CSO in there underneath the parchment.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

I think the stainless pieces I have are even bigger. 

The stainless steel piece I use in the CSO is 10x10x1/2 inch.  Would that be too small?  The same stuff is available as 12x12x1/2 inch.  It is high molybdenum 316 steel.

14 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

The stainless steel piece I use in the CSO is 10x10x1/2 inch.

Jo, I thought you did your pizzas in the oven. Not the CSO. No?

2 hours ago, TdeV said:

Jo, I thought you did your pizzas in the oven. Not the CSO. No?

Correct, I bake my pizza in the big oven on 12x12x1 inch hard anodized aluminum.  I would not want to put aluminum in the CSO.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Correct, I bake my pizza in the big oven on 12x12x1 inch hard anodized aluminum.  I would not want to put aluminum in the CSO.

What's wrong with using aluminum in the CSO?

4 hours ago, Chris Hennes said:

Are you using that as an insulator? 10 minutes of preheat doesn't seem like it would be long enough for a tile.

It's my CSO pizza stone - in the CSO I preheat using the Toast 3 setting, then turn it to Steam Bake for 30 minutes. Bottoms seem to brown well with that combination, Clearly it needs a bit longer preheat for the bottom browning as I discovered in the FB. 

This oven doesn't tell you how long preheat will be - and I'm not sure if it beeps when it reaches temperature. You can hit two buttons at the same time to determine the cavity temperature though - so I should probably check that before turning over to Combi. You can't program preheat into a two stage program either.