• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

F .BLUMLEIN Steam Convection Oven

md8232

2 minutes ago, gfweb said:

unfortunately its big

😀

Go big or go home!

Remember 2 is 1 and 1 is none.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

How can you govern a country which has 246 varieties of cheese?

Charles De Gaulle, in "Les Mots du General", 1962

Chicken Dinner tonight.  Tyson's finest.

I don't think the FB has a Steam/Bake function.  Or at least I didn't find it.

I used H Steam at 430° F for 25 minutes.  All pieces were a minimum of 175° at that time.

Skins were not crisp.  Meat was juicy and just as good as in the CSO.

IMG_1994.jpeg

IMG_1995.jpeg

41 minutes ago, md8232 said:

I don't think the FB has a Steam/Bake function.  Or at least I didn't find it.

I don't own this, but looking at user manual, H Steam would have to be a steam/bake function otherwise the temperature would never get above 212F or thereabouts (note the steam function has this temp limit).  Now personally, I like crispy skin on my chicken so I would have used Combi mode which is all the elements plus steam plus convection.  That said, I get juicy chicken with crispy skin in my BSOA without steam.  If I didn't already own a BSOA, I might consider this baby.

Edited by mgaretz (log)
  • Like 3

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

2 minutes ago, mgaretz said:

I don't own this, but looking at user manual, H Steam would have to be a steam/bake function otherwise the temperature would never get above 212F or thereabouts (note the steam function has this temp limit).  Now personally, I like crispy skin on my chicken so I would have used Combi mode which is all the elements plus steam plus convection.  That said, I get juicy chicken with crispy skin in my BSOA without steam.  If I didn't already own a BSOA, I might consider this baby.

You are right.  I somehow missed Combi.  Just checked and it will go to the correct temp.  I'll update once we have thighs again.

Love me some crisp skin!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, mgaretz said:

I'm happy with the breville smart oven air.

7 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

For bread?

Yes, with a Dutch Oven (but I will admit it's hard to find a reasonably priced one that fits - height with the lid is the issue - but this one does) :

bread-2.jpg.8cec7c02ed9aa3ba859d8a4fa5c786d7.jpgrye4.jpg.9cd4fe87bb437aecb808b38c4bc01baa.jpgonion-dill-rye.jpg.1422fc90942ba2fbdb23faea78a7f68b.jpgmolasses-bread2.jpg.ae27d30f184d3d676b79bfe59f9d5742.jpgrye-sliced.jpg.3e49117aae4714d04c323e147b180d41.jpgmolasses-bread-slice.jpg.997e7f0cb5628cdc2dacdae97fba1317.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

@md8232  

im not familiar w the terminology of the FBCO

but in the CSO  I get super crispy CkThigh Skin , nicely browned

and much better over all that baking in a non-steam oven

there were little bubbles on the CkTh skin ,   like a very tasty crispy Ckskin cracker.

its outstanding in a CSO

P.S.:   I looked at your time and temp

try steam bake  350 - 375  for longer :  45 min ?

keeping an eye on the CkTh's

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

Not sure how soon I’ll be baking bread, but I broke out a loaf pan to check fit.

Chicago Metallic 1 Lb loaf pan.

D82F22EB-FEFE-435C-9492-E16B4099C518.jpeg

• Like 4

On 5/16/2020 at 12:38 PM, TdeV said:

Thanks. FWIW, I have a microwave oven about the same size as the F. Blümlein. Looks like the F. Blümlein can do everything the microwave is currently being used to do except make water for tea.

The others are teasing, but I hear you loud and clear 🖖

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, mgaretz said:

Yes, with a Dutch Oven (but I will admit it's hard to find a reasonably priced one that fits - height with the lid is the issue - but this one does) :

bread-2.jpg.8cec7c02ed9aa3ba859d8a4fa5c786d7.jpgrye4.jpg.9cd4fe87bb437aecb808b38c4bc01baa.jpgonion-dill-rye.jpg.1422fc90942ba2fbdb23faea78a7f68b.jpgmolasses-bread2.jpg.ae27d30f184d3d676b79bfe59f9d5742.jpgrye-sliced.jpg.3e49117aae4714d04c323e147b180d41.jpgmolasses-bread-slice.jpg.997e7f0cb5628cdc2dacdae97fba1317.jpg

I have a Le Creuset #28 dutch oven.  It is @ 7 Quarts.  Just checked, and it fits.

I've used it for Jim Lahey's no knead bread in my regular oven.

Might be time to try it in the FB.

IMG_1997.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Check out the fermentation settings they should work

Thank you Kerry.  I can go down to 95° there.  What would I do without the rest of you helping me learn this?

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, KennethT said:

Am I seeing it correctly that there is only a top heating element, but no bottom element?

From the FAQ:

Are the heating elements exposed or covered?

The upper heating elements are exposed, the lower one is covered to provide a best taste of your foods.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3