• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Running away safely during quarantine

As, I’m sure everyone can identify with, we needed desperately to spread our wings a bit.  But we are perhaps a bit obnoxious in our observation of safety.  Mr. Kim is still having to go into the office a few days a week, where he has almost no contact with the few others who are also there (most people are working from home).  We try to shop as little as possible and we mask (always) and glove up (usually) when we do.   So, we knew whatever we did, where ever we went, we had to do it safely.  Mr. Kim had a day off on Tuesday and decided to surprise me with a trip home.  We live in the Richmond VA area – where Mr. Kim was born and raised.  I was born in Washington, DC and raised in northern VA.  I don’t think I’d want to live there again, but I love visiting.  

So, after grabbing a steak biscuit at the drive thru of Bojangles, we hit the road:

IMG_2124.jpg.78de4ffab4f59351ed692704056acefa.jpg

We drove around the city for a while – just doing auto-sightseeing.  We ended up near some of the embassies and Mr. Kim saw the spires of the National Cathedral and mentioned he’d never seen it.  So, we took advantage of the practically empty grounds and ample parking and got some fresh air and a little exercise safely!

IMG_2127.thumb.jpg.80fb997347f0f5f3df16aa83e20449dd.jpg

IMG_2135.jpg.2a73073139eecf24123a9b060dafe9ce.jpg

IMG_2147.thumb.jpg.47e06b4f189b9e8b11da99dcf99b8b92.jpg

IMG_2158.thumb.jpg.804325f6f82e7b463da816dcaa6cb2e8.jpg

IMG_2168.thumb.jpg.4fa0e0c57b31469c77725352ab0d7c1f.jpg

Time for lunch.  I have to commend the DC and NOVA governments/stores.  They are much more stringent about safety than we’ve seen in Richmond.  Masks EVERYWHERE.  And we went to Trader Joe’s in the District (couldn’t think of anyplace else where we could use a bathroom) and they had a couple of National Guard soldiers making sure everyone was compliant!  We went to Ben’s Chili Bowl in DC for lunch:

IMG_2186.thumb.jpg.39feefa329e1054cb7b04dadf35a8e94.jpg

Only 3 folks allowed in the store at a time.  This fantastic mess is a classic Ben’s chili-cheese half smoke:

IMG_2189.thumb.jpg.17cb00c9bd7970d83b8a46563110a082.jpg

We ate in the car and both of us literally had chili up our noses.  Thank goodness I’d brought some Handi-Wipes!  Great fries:

IMG_2188.jpg.35e35e61787cf9a72fafdf25886d89ad.jpg

Thank goodness for these – they helped cut the heat of the chili for me.  I don’t remember Ben’s chili being all that hot, but with my recent “burning mouth syndrome” diagnosis, it was pretty spicy to me!

More aimless driving and we happened upon Catholic University and the Basilica:

IMG_2197.jpg.d7740f75962ff5f2c2a2d6d8573f7cfa.jpg

IMG_2193.thumb.jpg.217ec42968b63894ea9e11eef6e5f062.jpg

We headed out to Arlington in a roundabout way:

IMG_2208.thumb.jpg.1fc58dd59a5c551dad6e523977ee66f2.jpg

Stopped at The Italian Store on Wilson Blvd.  Another place that was limiting shoppers and where every single person was in a mask.  Our haul:

IMG_2215.jpg.ededa3d4a390ccc2e93d003b8ed66ad1.jpg

Gorgeous sweet bread destined to become French toast, mortadella, and buccellati (fig cookies).  And some peanut butter, chocolate, and almond nougat:

IMG_2225.jpg.9480017c65917dd400b9ef3377c978bc.jpg

And then to the destination that was always in our minds:

IMG_2209.thumb.jpg.1852d92959317a04e11c7d628c92d1ec.jpg

I grew up on Mario’s and introduced Mr. Kim to it soon after we met.  Mario’s food was my mother’s craving when she was pregnant with me and my dad remembers going over there at 1 or 2 am to get her a sub or pizza.  So, my palate was trained to Mario’s in utero!  This method may be necessary in order to appreciate the pizza:

IMG_2210.jpg.eacabf54e738750cb2f2c13b95b63166.jpg

I got a couple of slices to take home.  The only people I know who love this pizza are folks that grew up eating it.  Mr. Kim doesn’t like it.  Jessica doesn’t either (I was sick for 9 months solid when I was pregnant with her and was therefore unable to inoculate her).  I will say that I heated it up for lunch on Tuesday using the CSO for the first time and I suspect that they could possibly be persuaded.  But back to the main event.  THE sandwich that surpasses all other sandwiches at Mario’s (at least in my family) is the ham, steak, and cheese.  We all like it with “slaw” (really just angel hair cabbage – no detectable dressing) and various condiments (I like grilled onions, pizza sauce, and mayo).  The sandwich:

IMG_2213.jpg.e312ec5de47b3f468116f8995ed5c0a7.jpg

Only slightly less messy than the half smoke at Ben’s.  We did NOT get pizza sauce up our noses. 

One last NOVA treat before making our way back home:

IMG_2214.thumb.jpg.888a4d6b50b298707edf6614c2b34bfb.jpg

Frozen Custard!  I prefer frozen custard to all other ice cream type confections.  I'd rather have it than any ice cream, sherbet, or gelato that I've ever tasted.  What a great day Mr. Kim gave me.  We didn’t get to see any family or friends but decided that it was better to keep everyone safe and wait for another time for that. 

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

Thank you, thank you, thank you.  

If Johnnybird ever gets home we are planning some afternoons of birding.  

Going to have to put our South Carolina roadtrip on hold till next year and probably the cousin's weekend on Shelter Island but we can enjoy those little trips that bring us joy!!!

• Like 3

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Nice post! I have cousins who live very near the National Cathedral. It's a remarkable building no matter what one's take on religion. Several years ago, before the earthquake damage, Ms Alex and I lucked out and were the only patrons on their behind-the-scenes tour. BTW, it's a far cry from Mario's, but if you're ever by the Cathedral again, I recommend the Neapolitan pizza at 2Amys.

• Thanks 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Great pics, @Kim Shook. While I don't miss "half living" in DC, especially now for obvious or not so obvious reasons, it is a pretty city, and certainly does spring well. The deep depths of summer, however, can be quite stifling.

2 Amys' was probably the first pizzeria in DC doing "artisanal"  pizza, and we ate there often enough.

The roof of our apartment building, in addition to providing some leaks into our top floor apartment, had some pretty great 360° views.

IMG_0843.thumb.JPG.e745ceadd093bd1d55f5a7c1508b7201.JPG

IMG_0845.thumb.JPG.64a199a8766c7526864af0017d18565e.JPG

IMG_2130.thumb.JPG.7888a694da46be72bacb73e4b2529d5e.JPG

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 6

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

What a great day, Kim. One thing that's been keeping me sane is just getting out and driving; particularly enjoyable in the early days of spring when the trees were a bajillion different colors of green. I'm close enough to the Ozark foothills to get there and back in a leisurely afternoon drive, and that usually results in stopping at some farm stand to pick up strawberries, lettuces, fresh eggs. Contactless, too; most are on the honor system. Take what you want, put your money in the box. Please and thank you.

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Thanks for sharing your fun day with us!  All of my original summer vacations have been cancelled due to this virus.  Bermuda for our anniversary in June, St. John VI in July.  We pivoted and are going to Cape Cod, staying in a private home on a private beach where we will continue to quarantine.  I'm going to miss all of my favorite Cape restaurants, beaches and shops, but this plan is better than nothing.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TicTac said:

Fantastic road trip.

I have always wanted to try frozen custard, but I have yet to see it anywhere in Toronto, let alone Canada for that matter!

It's what they serve at The Dairy Queen.

31 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Frozen custard is soft serve?  I've never had it and I was fascinated by the photo and description of "frozen custard" - there's a DQ in the next town.  Will have to investigate it!

4 minutes ago, JeanneCake said:

Frozen custard is soft serve?  I've never had it and I was fascinated by the photo and description of "frozen custard" - there's a DQ in the next town.  Will have to investigate it!

No.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frozen_custard#Characteristics

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

You sure about that?

I am pretty DQ is soft serve 'garbage' (for lack of a better term - in case you have ever investigated ingredients in soft serve!).

3 minutes ago, TicTac said:

You sure about that?

I am pretty DQ is soft serve 'garbage' (for lack of a better term - in case you have ever investigated ingredients in soft serve!).

Nope.  It's what we always called what we got at Dairy Queen.  I stand corrected.

Dunno so much about its comparison with DQ, but there are two frozen custard stands in Arkansas that are worthy of notice. One is King Kone, a 1950s-ish stand in Hot Springs. Dip cones are worthy of notice. Has pizza burgers and the works. The other is Andy's Frozen Custard in Jonesboro, which has two stores, one of them unfortunately only five or six blocks from my house. They make a sundae called the Ozark Turtle which involves frozen custard, hot fudge sauce, hot caramel sauce, toasted pecans, and a plethora of maraschino cherries. I have gained, well, several pounds from those damn things.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

16 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

When I was a kid we always got Carvel during the summers on Long Island. You are up late.

Last time I had Carvel it was still pretty good.  These days I am pretty much left to my own devices...

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/152508-home-made-ice-cream-2015–/?do=findComment&comment=2248116

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou