• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Honey old fashioned

paulraphael

For one of the old Mixology Monday events, I baked sweet potatoes until I had a decent amount of the sugars cooked out and caramelized on the pan. I deglazed the pan with water to get a syrup and used that as the sweetener in an old fashioned. I thought it was pretty tasty but it would be hugely impractical as a regular thing. My point in mentioning it is, I did all that and it's never occurred to me to use honey in one... so maybe it's only obvious once you've done it. :D

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

28 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

For one of the old Mixology Monday events, I baked sweet potatoes until I had a decent amount of the sugars cooked out and caramelized on the pan. I deglazed the pan with water to get a syrup and used that as the sweetener in an old fashioned. I thought it was pretty tasty but it would be hugely impractical as a regular thing. My point in mentioning it is, I did all that and it's never occurred to me to use honey in one... so maybe it's only obvious once you've done it. :D

We have sweet potatoes roasting in the oven right now, and whiskey is the one thing we hoarded for the pandemic. I'm tempted. How were they?

Notes from the underbelly

1 hour ago, paulraphael said:

We have sweet potatoes roasting in the oven right now, and whiskey is the one thing we hoarded for the pandemic. I'm tempted. How were they?

It was a long time ago and the memory isn't what it used to be but I remember it being tasty. I found my notes for it, it was posted on my old blog that I closed to public access years ago because I just wasn't very good at it. According to my post: I deglazed the pan with water and rolled the potatoes in that water to dissolve the syrup on the surface as well. I then mixed that resulting water 1:1 with sugar. I also apparently gave the empty glass a twist from a piece of orange zest and a drop of toasted walnut oil that I wiped around the inside of the glass with the orange zest. I didn't even remember doing that part. Outside of that, it says I used 2 oz bourbon, 2 tsp of the syrup and a dash of angostura. So as you see, my memory is not reliable. I don't remember it being a train wreck though, pretty sure it was drinkable. :D

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

11 hours ago, haresfur said:

I'm liberal with the sweetner, spirit, and bitters in an Old Fashioned. Date syrup makes a nice variation.

Finally a use for the date syrup that has been languishing in my pantry for Lord only knows how long – – unopened. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On 5/15/2020 at 1:36 AM, haresfur said:

I'm liberal with the sweetner, spirit, and bitters in an Old Fashioned. Date syrup makes a nice variation.

IMG_2480.thumb.jpeg.fdec748f8d0ccd414daf3bd2059c0bca.jpeg

Indeed it does and the bourbon-soaked date was a nice treat at the end!  Thanks for that idea!

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 3