• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wegman’s chocolate cookies - clone recipe?

tikidoc

Wegman’s has an absolutely wonderful chocolate-chocolate chip cookie, that they call “chocolate indulgence.” They sell it in the bulk cookie area, but when I look online it appears they also sell what appears to be the same cookie in packages of 2, link below. I never saw it packaged in the store. I had purchased them several times before I found out they were gluten-free (uses oat flour). It is crispy on the outside and fudgey on the inside, and deeply chocolate flavored, not overly sweet. After 15 seconds in the microwave, it is even more amazing, when the chips melt. Among the best cookies ever, especially for someone who loves dark chocolate. Half a cookie satisfies a chocolate craving for several days.

Since we are not going to the store often these days, I’d love to make something similar but have not been able to locate a similar recipe on the internet. I have done very little gluten-free baking so do not feel confident reverse-engineering it. Does anyone have a recipe that is similar, especially if you have tried the Wegman’s cookie and know what I’m going for?  I’m not tied to the idea of gluten free - we eat gluten - but I suspect that may be part of the way they get the texture. I have not baked with oat flour, so have no idea of proportions.

This is the link that I found - I think it is the same cookie, although it looks darker in real life, the color of a very dark chocolate.

https://shop.wegmans.com/product/59520/wegmans-chocolate-indulgence-cookie-2-pk. Ingredients: Sugar, Cacao, Eggs, Butter, Oat Flour, Cocoa Butter, 2% or less of each: Water, Natural Flavor, Sunflower Lecithin, Leavening (Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Baking Soda), Cornstarch, Salt, Coffee.

1 hour ago, tikidoc said:

Has nobody else tried these amazing cookies?

Not yet.. but now I’ll get them the next time I am at Wegmans. Have you tried contacting Wegmans to see if they will share their recipe?

1 hour ago, curls said:

Not yet.. but now I’ll get them the next time I am at Wegmans. Have you tried contacting Wegmans to see if they will share their recipe?

Is that really a thing?