• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pakistan outdoor kitchen

Hi I'm from the UK but in pakistan for a few weeks longer than expected. So I've decided to make full useless use of my time (as my mother would say, bless her). I'm building a full outdoor kitchen. The clay adobe chulla or rocket stove with surrounding area is complete. The pizza oven base platform and wood storage area brick built with steel and concrete tops  complete with glass bottles for insulation is complete. The stand for a portable trough style steel barbecue is complete. The tandoor is complete fired up and aalready used for making several batches of delicious roti and nan. Tge rocket stove has been used complete with authentic terracotta traditional indian cooking implements has been used  I must say the shape porosity and steaming ability of these implements is far superior to the modern metal ones.

The problem at the moment is the pizza dome. I've built this using a sand and brick form 34 inch diameter and 16 inch high. The exterior I've done using clay sand and hessian strands cut into two inch lengths. I've added some jaggery syrup to the mix. Kneaded it well and applied it over the sand form leaving the door way area of 10inch by 18inch in a brick former. Trouble is today as I've removed the doorway and internal sand form after overnight drying of the clay the front structure started to collapse in on itself. Presumably because the clay wasn't dry enough. I will have to start again. Any tips welcome.

• Like 2

As I have a small herd of waterbuffalo here I'm hoping to make my own mozzarella cheese to use on the pizza topping. We grow and mill our own wheat so I'm hoping that wholemeal flour will be strong enough. We also cultivate some thick fleshed San Marzano type tomatoes and a small selection of different pulses vegetable and herbs. The basil is indian basil but I can get seeds from the uk for Mediterranean basil. 

I'm hoping some members from this forum may be able to help me along the way.... thanks

• Like 1

Sure sounds like an admirable effort!  Love the sound of the outdoor kitchen. Wish I had something to offer on the pizza oven; sadly, I don't. What I really envy you is the fresh mozzarella di bufala.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com