• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate & Confections Packaging 2020 & beyond

gfron1

I know there's packaging info all over in this forum, but so much of it has become dated. In the Facebook eG Chocolate page I asked who everyone is currently using, and I'm sharing it here for easier reference.

Glerup Revere 

Nashville Wraps

Box and Wrap

Professional Image

Duerr Packaging

ASpecialtyBox

BRP Boxes

Chocolat Chocolat

Unger Imports

Modpac

Graphic West

ZoolyUtah Packaging

Emenac

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, JeanneCake said:

There's a FB eG Chocolate page?!

It started years ago mainly for planning our workshops. It has taken on a life of its own. You are welcome to check it out. eGullet Chocolate & Confection Workshop on FB.

• Like 2

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

What are people using for a wrap for bars. I’m new to this, and the one business I know that does bean to bar wraps in plastic sleeves, which I don’t want to do. I see foil wraps, and various paper lined wraps. I’m looking at Alufoil foil on 15# tissue. Is this a normal inner wrap for bars?

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/27/2020 at 10:39 PM, Douglas K said:

What are people using for a wrap for bars. I’m new to this, and the one business I know that does bean to bar wraps in plastic sleeves, which I don’t want to do. I see foil wraps, and various paper lined wraps. I’m looking at Alufoil foil on 15# tissue. Is this a normal inner wrap for bars?

I started using plastic sleeves but they were so clunky and looked poorly wrapped. I recently started using foil and a printed overwrap.  I'm unfamiliar with Alufoil.  Sorry I couldn't be more help. 

Peace, 

Chuck

"If life gives you limes, make margaritas" - J. Buffett

@Chuck Avalon I guess I am going to find out since I just bought a lifetime’s worth (for me) of paper lined foil from Alufoil. I do appreciate you confirming that the plastic sleeves just aren’t right. To my mind they just don’t give the impression of a quality product. I am not a pro, and won’t ever be one (unless it’s on a hobby basis out of Puerto Rico) so the margins aren’t an issue. It’s more how what I make looks. 

What other suppliers are there out there for foil for bars?

• 2 months later...

Here in the UK we have for packaging

Keylink https://www.keylink.org/

Meridian Speciality Packaging https://www.meridianspshop.com/

Home Chocolate Factory https://www.homechocolatefactory.com/

At present in the UK there is a severe shortage of packaging due to a lack of cardboard. With the virus, recycling centres have been closed, 80% of cardboard comes from recycled. So with them being shut, factories being closed and Amazon delivering everything in cardboard boxes, there is currently a shortage.

• 6 months later...

I have just done a trial run of posting some of the chocolate biscuits I am planning on selling to myself. Each biscuit was in its own tight-fitting sealed bag and the postal box they were in was padded out with shredded paper.

Overall the trial was a success as the biscuits do not seem to have moved around too much. However, I spray (as in flick from a toothbrush not with a spray gun) the biscuits with coloured cocoa butter and there was a transfer of this onto the inside of the bags. Not so much that the look of the biscuits themselves was diminished but enough that the end product wasn't particularly professional looking.

I am wondering if at least part of the issue is that I am using biodegradable bags rather than plastic. I am going to do another trial with foil wrapping the biscuits but am interested to hear if anyone else has had any similar experiences with cocoa butter coming off on their packaging. Sorry this post was so long 😂

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/11/2021 at 9:44 AM, pastrygirl said:

Another option I found recently, nice sturdy set-up boxes made in USA

https://tap-usa.com/collections/rigid-boxes

Just learned they are discontinuing stock production and going all custom.  Now, to find a different box or storage space for thousands of set-up boxes?  Ugh ... 🤬🤬🤬

23 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

Just learned they are discontinuing stock production and going all custom.  Now, to find a different box or storage space for thousands of set-up boxes?  Ugh ... 🤬🤬🤬

Pastrygirl, sorry your packaging company is dropping stock boxes. Have a look at Sweet Packaging, lots of stock boxes and they do custom too. Not the best website. I started using them when I talked to them at the Philly Candy Show. 
https://sweetpackaging.com/Solid-Lid-Candy-Boxes/Solid-Everyday-Boxes/808-Series

Does anyone currently use Duerr Packaging?  I've sent two inquiries and have not heard back.  If you use them, are you usually happy with the quality and turnaround time?  

edited to add: maybe they only sell through distributors?  I'll try the distributor ...

Edited by pastrygirl (log)

On 9/15/2021 at 2:31 PM, pastrygirl said:

Does anyone currently use Duerr Packaging?  I've sent two inquiries and have not heard back.  If you use them, are you usually happy with the quality and turnaround time?  

edited to add: maybe they only sell through distributors?  I'll try the distributor ...

I have used Duerr for years. Very happy with them. I originally went with a local company, Utah Paper Box. They do quality work, but doubled my price from the first order. I sent my boxes to Duerr to get a quote. They came in closer to my original price. They copied the boxes exactly with custom paper and hot stamp as well.  I do pay shipping and usually have a little damage, but it is still lots cheaper. They are doing my boxes right now. I'm very happy with them.  Ask to talk to Dale. He is my sales rep. They are very slow to get out orders right now. Usually not a problem, but Covid and messed up everything.

• Like 2

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

@Chocolat thanks, I did exchange a few messages with Dale.  They are not taking new custom orders at the moment and are dealing with materials shortages.  They were out of the 5 and 7 piece boxes I was looking at, promised to have one in time for Christmas but not the other.  Their distributor Linnea's did have some though, so I have 300 on the way.

Other manufacturers have also mentioned issues getting materials, and one store has more than tripled the price of candy trays vs a year ago.  I don't know, maybe new supply is on all those container ships waiting off the West coast but I'm trying to stock up now. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, no10 said:

I'm slightly confused. When attempting to purchase packaging from Glerup Revere, I run into this message during checkout:  1635190552_ScreenShot2021-10-13at6_40_11PM.png.ab26fcc72d5755d6cc90ee98b3c3aab4.png

Can you only purchase from Glerup Revere if you're a wholesaler?

The way they explained it to me was that they have to have proof that you are charging sales tax on your final end product. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, no10 said:

I'm slightly confused. When attempting to purchase packaging from Glerup Revere, I run into this message during checkout:  1635190552_ScreenShot2021-10-13at6_40_11PM.png.ab26fcc72d5755d6cc90ee98b3c3aab4.png

Can you only purchase from Glerup Revere if you're a wholesaler?

You have to be a business with a tax ID number.  Here in WA I get my reseller permit from the Dept of Revenue. 

If there's something you're desperate for that only they have, I may be able to help you out, I order from them several times a year.

Edited by pastrygirl (log)
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

You have to be a business with a tax ID number.  Here in WA I get my reseller permit from the Dept of Revenue. 

If there's something you're desperate for that only they have, I may be able to help you out, I order from them several times a year.

I contacted Glerup Revere, and they confirmed that they can only sell to you if you have a valid reseller’s permit or tax-exempt certificate. The representative I was speaking with said that GR previously could sell to anyone but this changed as a result of Wayfair vs South Dakota which impacted how they have to keep tax information on file in case of an audit.

Thank you for the generous offer, @pastrygirl. Luckily, a GR representative pointed me to a vendor that carries the product that I was hoping to order.

For those who are interested, these are the vendors that carry GR-products: Box and Wrap, Mod Pac, Packaging Concepts, and Nashville Wraps.

• Like 1