• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Alternative acids

cdh

Some spring ramps have come my way, and ramp vinegar is always a yummy way to put them to use...  It occurred to me that I've got a mountain of pure citric acid sitting around...  so why not make up a 6% solution of that and drop a ramp leaf in and see what happens.  

Anybody else replaced acetic with citric in culinary preparations?  I think that a citric ramp preserve might be tastier as the acid in a rampy mayonnaise.... the acetic twang just doesn't work for me in mayo... makes it seem like miracle whip... 

I'll report back after the ramps have pickled for a week.  

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

I don't know how stable citric acid is....  This is unrelated - but when using acids to adjust pH of nutrient solution, it is always advised against using citric acid because while it may temporarily lower pH (as any acid would), it's not stable and the pH will go back up in a day or so...  I don't know if that's helpful to you or not....

• Like 1