• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jordan Almonds

minas6907

Hi All,

About a month ago I was looking through Wybauws Fine Chocolates Gold. On page 130, theres a sections for sugar coating. I've wanted to do hard sugar panning for so long. I just decided to do it, followed the formula he has (1kg sugar and 300g water, boil to 110c) and it didn't really turn out at all. I needed more time (and a lot more patience), and just decided to coat them in chocolate. Has anyone attempted Jordan Almonds, even with mild success? What gets me is in Wybauws book, he doesn't elaborate too much on sugar panning, he focuses more on chocolate, but theres this picture of these beautiful sugar panned dragees that I'm dying to replicate. Anyways, I didn't see any topics on it, just thought I'd put it out there.

• Like 1

I am not a candy person but to me over many years of experiencing them Jordan almonds have zero to do with chocolate. Not overly fond cuz  prefer roasted. Is the attraction simply visual?

81HbgLQk88L._SL1500_.jpg

That is true, the Jordan Almonds don't have anything to do with chocolate. When I decided to coat the almonds in chocolate, it was just to prevent it from being a wasted endeavor. I had the pan already set up, so I just went with that. To me the appeal of the Jordan Almond is the very old history it has. Today it's become synonymous with cheap wedding candy, but I think it would show considerable skill if it was replicated on a small scale, thats whats always interested me about confectionery. I've tried and failed, I obviously just need to do some more reading and experimenting.

• Like 1

I've done them in a couple of courses, they are a colossal PIA IMHO!

I'd have to do some serious digging to find the instructions. I shall try to remember to have a look through my stuff. 

• Like 1

A very early memory of Jordan Almonds which I loved.  My Cousin Bea (I have no idea why she was a cousin) made them.  Montreal, Pine Avenue, an apartment on the third floor.  Wonderful memory. Thanks. 

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.